Great Documentary on obscene art prices, Compelling meditation on the wealthy
(01-24-2012, 07:10 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:
(01-24-2012, 01:38 PM)matthew_talbot Wrote:
(01-24-2012, 12:21 AM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: WHAT  a conspiracy? :O no way? Better not tell matthew talbot.

:LOL:

I only believe in conspiracies I can personally verify. Like my socks and car keys getting taken by elves who live under the floorboards of our house...
DUDE :O That just happened yesterday to my wifes cellphone....we cannot find that damn thing!
If it was taken by this elf, I don't think you mind so much.
[Image: ref3.jpg]
(01-24-2012, 10:16 AM)Gerard Wrote:
(01-24-2012, 01:42 AM)mikemac Wrote: Peter Paul Ruben's work is excellent.  Roscoe's is junk.  Those camels that buy and sell art are going to have a hard time.  I don't like abstract "art" at all.  Although I do have a "white center" by MacDonell that I'll let go for cheap. lol

Don't fall for the "categories" that the art community puts on things.  All paintings are abstract.  They call it "abstract" because it's such an impoverished piece of....work....that it would pale in comparison with other paintings that are decoratively and illustratively superior. 
Gerard, what do you think of the disdain "art critics" show for hyper realism?
[Image: 20100712_painting_06_m.jpg]
(01-24-2012, 07:12 PM)Tapatio Wrote:
(01-24-2012, 07:10 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:
(01-24-2012, 01:38 PM)matthew_talbot Wrote:
(01-24-2012, 12:21 AM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: WHAT  a conspiracy? :O no way? Better not tell matthew talbot.

:LOL:

I only believe in conspiracies I can personally verify. Like my socks and car keys getting taken by elves who live under the floorboards of our house...
DUDE :O That just happened yesterday to my wifes cellphone....we cannot find that damn thing!
If it was taken by this elf, I don't think you mind so much.
[Image: ref3.jpg]
yeah as long as her freaky dad didnt show
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEZtLJsQ4nAqdG9-Oa_P2...Ix1UJPrDo1]
(01-24-2012, 07:16 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: Gerard, what do you think of the disdain "art critics" show for hyper realism?
[Image: 20100712_painting_06_m.jpg]

I can't remember reading any art criticism in decades. Just looking at the image you've posted, it springs from the Dutch tradition.  But, if they hold disdain for highly illustrative works, they probably don't have much praise for the entire tradition of the Dutch masters either. The emphasis and area of interest for the Dutch was creating an image with indefinable brush strokes, simple everyday subject matter and sophisticated composition.  (BTW, the key to understanding Van Gogh is to see how he retained the subject matter of the Dutch Tradition and incorporated Oriental traditions into it.  The line is definable to the point of becoming an expressive component of the work itself.  The colors are muted and "acidic" so the tension is created between the decorative line suggesting motion and the Dutch simplicity and solidity of the illustration.) 

Here's an example of the classic Dutch tradition.
[Image: stilllifewithdrinkinghornbywillemkalf.jpg]
seems to me..that THAT is the definition of an ART.
(01-24-2012, 11:21 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: seems to me..that THAT is the definition of an ART.

One of the things I learned during and after the Barnes experience was that people hate the Barnes because they don't like objective standards.  And if you have objective standards for evaluating artwork and people en masse are educated in those standards you can't spin and market the value.

One of my teachers used to talk about Jackson Pollack's work.  He was always charitable in his attitude.  He said, "Pollack can gain some control with practice over the drips and splashes.  And it can create a sense of depth and a lacey curtain effect.  But that's about it.  He's highly decorative, minimally illlustrative and very limited in his expressiveness."  He followed up with, "If I'm a salesman at a gallery, I have to make up a big story and create a context of excitement, because if I were to talk about the lacey curtain effect and the drips and splashes and then turn around and ask for 200 thousand dollars.  I'm not going to make a sale."