My experience at the NO
So, I went to the NO Mass for the first time in well over a year this morning. I went to the Church where I go to make visits to the Blessed Sacrament. I know the priest there and he is very good and as traditional as you get for the NO. He actually veils the crucifix and statues during Holy Week which is the first time I have ever seen that in the NO.

Anyway, I brought my Little Office book with me so I could pray the office before Mass. Father was also praying the Office when I walked into the Church. When Father came out for Mass he started Mass by reciting the Angelus at the foot of the Altar (technically that was before Mass began.) I liked the new translation. It is a lot better than the old translation. Although there were a few people who were still saying the old responses. The only thing I didn't like was they had a woman reader reading the Epistle, the Psalm and the Alleluia. But if that's the worst thing then I can deal with it.

It was the Feast of St. Pau's conversion so it was nice. Also, in the Missal a few things I liked was instead of the "opening prayer" they call it the Collect which I like. Also, in the Missal they have little descriptions of the different parts of the Mass and before the Consecration they make sure to emphasize that this is the Sacrifice of Calvary. Obviously I am not going to stop going to the TLM...the NO Mass still feels so lacking and indeed it is lacking in the richness of the TLM, but at least I have the Graces of being able to receive Communion and worship God more than once a week. At least I found a Mass I can go to without my blood boiling from all the abuses.
That's awesome!  Glad you were able to get to Mass without having your mind crazy the whole time!
Pete, I'm glad for you in these times of trial and tribulation that you've found relief.

tim
Glad to hear it, Peter.  That we might also receive these graces!
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(01-25-2012, 10:45 AM)Petertherock Wrote: So, I went to the NO Mass for the first time in well over a year this morning. I went to the Church where I go to make visits to the Blessed Sacrament. I know the priest there and he is very good and as traditional as you get for the NO. He actually veils the crucifix and statues during Holy Week which is the first time I have ever seen that in the NO.

Anyway, I brought my Little Office book with me so I could pray the office before Mass. Father was also praying the Office when I walked into the Church. When Father came out for Mass he started Mass by reciting the Angelus at the foot of the Altar (technically that was before Mass began.) I liked the new translation. It is a lot better than the old translation. Although there were a few people who were still saying the old responses. The only thing I didn't like was they had a woman reader reading the Epistle, the Psalm and the Alleluia. But if that's the worst thing then I can deal with it.

It was the Feast of St. Pau's conversion so it was nice. Also, in the Missal a few things I liked was instead of the "opening prayer" they call it the Collect which I like. Also, in the Missal they have little descriptions of the different parts of the Mass and before the Consecration they make sure to emphasize that this is the Sacrifice of Calvary. Obviously I am not going to stop going to the TLM...the NO Mass still feels so lacking and indeed it is lacking in the richness of the TLM, but at least I have the Graces of being able to receive Communion and worship God more than once a week. At least I found a Mass I can go to without my blood boiling from all the abuses.
St. Anthony's in Westbrook is the most heretical situation I've ever seen.

Ever.

Valentine's Day 2010. "The Rose" was being played by the "band" before mass. Yep. And I do mean band. Every instrument imaginable.

The priest during the homily - "now I want every married couple to stand-up and hold hands and look each other in the eyes, and repeat these words - you're going to renew your wedding vows."

I SWEAR ON MY ROSARY HE SAID THAT.....

Then, before Easter 2010, regarding the yearly confessional obligation Catholics have, he said, "you do know as practicing Catholics, you should go to confession at least once a year, but you only really need to go to confession if you're in mortal sin, and if you were in mortal sin, you probably wouldn't be here at mass today anyway."

Shocked

Then, Easter vigil 2010.

It was so bad that I left before the adult RCIA class could be confirmed.

The litany of the saints?

It was sung - with the band playing - to the tune of  "As the Saint go marching in".

The priest didn't like Bishop Malone - he thought the Bishop was "too strict."

Unbelievable stuff..............heresy on another level.
I'm sorry but the Novus Ordo is the Novus Ordo.  In my experience, you get more graces for avoiding it altogether than for going every day--or at all, even if the TLM isn't available.  I went for over a year, and little by little it ripped away my faith.  When I came back to Tradition again, I swore it off once and for all. 
You get more graces for avoiding Mass than for going every day? Huh?
(01-25-2012, 10:59 AM)SaintAndrew Wrote:
(01-25-2012, 10:45 AM)Petertherock Wrote: So, I went to the NO Mass for the first time in well over a year this morning. I went to the Church where I go to make visits to the Blessed Sacrament. I know the priest there and he is very good and as traditional as you get for the NO. He actually veils the crucifix and statues during Holy Week which is the first time I have ever seen that in the NO.

Ever.

Valentine's Day 2010. "The Rose" was being played by the "band" before mass. Yep. And I do mean band. Every instrument imaginable.

The priest during the homily - "now I want every married couple to stand-up and hold hands and look each other in the eyes, and repeat these words - you're going to renew your wedding vows."

Then, before Easter 2010, regarding the yearly confessional obligation Catholics have, he said, "you do know as practicing Catholics, you should go to confession at least once a year, but you only really need to go to confession if you're in mortal sin, and if you were in mortal sin, you probably wouldn't be here at mass today anyway."

Shocked

Then, Easter vigil 2010.

It was sung - with the band playing - to the tune of  "As the Saint go marching in".

Thankfully I have never been to St. Anthony's in Westbrook. I am glad to have read this because I have considered giving that Church a try...at least from the outside, it looks like a traditional looking Church...but from my experience, the worst Priests are at the traditional looking Churches! St. Joseph's in Portland is a nice looking trad looking Church and yet they have the Tabernacle hid in a side chapel and that is the Church that was formerly run by the Capuchins and they had the priest that said "The Church used to teach there was mortal sin..." and he said there is no need for confession. Now it's run by Jesuits who are just as bad, if not worse than the Capuchins.

But I am glad I found a place where the daily Mass is at least tolerable. Also, the last I remember, the noon daily Mass at the Cathedral in Portland was pretty good too.

(01-25-2012, 12:17 PM)SimplyCatholic Wrote: I'm sorry but the Novus Ordo is the Novus Ordo.  In my experience, you get more graces for avoiding it altogether than for going every day--or at all, even if the TLM isn't available.  I went for over a year, and little by little it ripped away my faith.  When I came back to Tradition again, I swore it off once and for all. 

If a Mass rips you away from your faith then obviously you have no Faith. Now granted, there are some NO Masses that have downright heretical priests and I would avoid these Churches myself. But as long as you have an orthodox Holy Priest, even the NO Mass will give you graces. Obviously, if I had the choice I would go to the TLM over the NO...but since there is no Daily TLM around here, I am stuck. I am fortunate to have the TLM on Sunday's and Holy Days...but one of the biggest things is I want to complete the First Friday devotion.

(01-25-2012, 12:51 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(01-25-2012, 10:59 AM)SaintAndrew Wrote:

Ever.

Shocked

Then, Easter vigil 2010.

Thankfully I have never been to St. Anthony's in Westbrook. I am glad to have read this because I have considered giving that Church a try...at least from the outside, it looks like a traditional looking Church...but from my experience, the worst Priests are at the traditional looking Churches! St. Joseph's in Portland is a nice looking trad looking Church and yet they have the Tabernacle hid in a side chapel and that is the Church that was formerly run by the Capuchins and they had the priest that said "The Church used to teach there was mortal sin..." and he said there is no need for confession. Now it's run by Jesuits who are just as bad, if not worse than the Capuchins.

But I am glad I found a place where the daily Mass is at least tolerable. Also, the last I remember, the noon daily Mass at the Cathedral in Portland was pretty good too.
Have you been inside Pius X on Ocean Ave.Huh?Huh?

Hideous. Absolutely.............reeeeally modern... Puke

Especially with THAT name!!!!