My experience at the NO
(01-25-2012, 10:51 AM)Tim Wrote: Pete, I'm glad for you in these times of trial and tribulation that you've found relief.

tim

So am I. Please say a prayer or two that I might do the same during this upcoming month. My sister-in-law died a week & a half ago & several Masses have been offered for her. I want to go to all of them & they are all Novus Ordo. How I would love to see a real requiem Mass again. It's been many, many years.  My Grandfather's final Mass on earth was the Traditional Requiem Mass. Do they even sprinkle the casket with holy water anymore? Is there incense?

During the last funeral Mass I attended, the priest gave a eulogy?? & talked a lot about the  red mustang that the deceased drove & peanut butter sandwiches that she brought to work. (She was a lay teacher in a Catholic school. She deserved better. )
I'm glad for you!

We have a daily TLM here I love (Deo gratias) but can't always make the 6pm time.  "Honey, can you deal with the baby for a few more hours, I'm going to go to Mass instead of home to help, " lol, does not sound good.

So my only choice for daily mass many days is the morning.  I'm looking for the best NOs, though I think I might start going to a DL at a church (a little out of the way) that has early times I could make before work.

Anyway, my point is that there are definitely graces to be had from going to daily Mass, and NO is better than nothing when there's no TLM available, so good for you, I hope you persevere.

Please pray for me, that I be less lazy and myself get to daily Mass more.
(01-25-2012, 12:54 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(01-25-2012, 12:17 PM)SimplyCatholic Wrote: I'm sorry but the Novus Ordo is the Novus Ordo.  In my experience, you get more graces for avoiding it altogether than for going every day--or at all, even if the TLM isn't available.  I went for over a year, and little by little it ripped away my faith.  When I came back to Tradition again, I swore it off once and for all. 

If a Mass rips you away from your faith then obviously you have no Faith. Now granted, there are some NO Masses that have downright heretical priests and I would avoid these Churches myself. But as long as you have an orthodox Holy Priest, even the NO Mass will give you graces. Obviously, if I had the choice I would go to the TLM over the NO...but since there is no Daily TLM around here, I am stuck. I am fortunate to have the TLM on Sunday's and Holy Days...but one of the biggest things is I want to complete the First Friday devotion.

Attacking someone else's faith seems a little aggressive. I feel like adding a clarification - like all the bishops that studied the Mass and that Ottoviani referenced in his "Intervention", the NO in its most rigorously faithful inception was/is an abomination. Since in the decades since its inception it has further fallen (much further) to such depths as to not even resemble a mass anymore, I would not grace it with that title. I can see how it can rip at one's faith in its most basic form - so much more when you compound exponentially with the common abuses of our day.

And you seem to stress that having a NO priest who is conservative is a plus? How does it change an "abomination"? Beside that you seem to imply that the majority of NO priests are scandalous in their behavior at Church - else why would you make a point of finding a "mostly traditional" priest? The Catholic Church is supposed to be ONE, and the liturgy and sacraments are to be as Christ directed them to be, certainly not at the whim of individual men. If you cannot see this, then it seems your faith has been ripped at as well in attending the subjective rites of men.
(01-25-2012, 01:26 PM)JoniCath Wrote:
(01-25-2012, 10:51 AM)Tim Wrote: Pete, I'm glad for you in these times of trial and tribulation that you've found relief.

tim

So am I. Please say a prayer or two that I might do the same during this upcoming month. My sister-in-law died a week & a half ago & several Masses have been offered for her. I want to go to all of them & they are all Novus Ordo. How I would love to see a real requiem Mass again. It's been many, many years.  My Grandfather's final Mass on earth was the Traditional Requiem Mass. Do they even sprinkle the casket with holy water anymore? Is there incense?

During the last funeral Mass I attended, the priest gave a eulogy?? & talked a lot about the  red mustang that the deceased drove & peanut butter sandwiches that she brought to work. (She was a lay teacher in a Catholic school. She deserved better. )

There still are reverent NO funaerl masses. My father died last year and his funeral mass was in December. The coffin was sprinkled with Holy Water and Incense. At the end of the mass I was allowed to give the eulogy and I spoke about his dedication to the Blessed Mother and devotion to the Rosary. It's not practical for me to attend the TLM, it's over an hour away for me and I have a wife and family so I need to attend the NO so I look for reverent ones.

My son lives near the same parish as Petertherock and I greatly enjoy attending the Sunday morning NO mass there when I visit. They have an awesome choir, usually chant a Psalm in Latin before mass, say the Kyrie Eliason in Greek and Agnus Dei in Latin and is reverent. Now I am envious of my son and Petertherock  Sticking tongue out at you but am glad for them that they have a solid parish to worship.
(01-25-2012, 01:00 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote:
(01-25-2012, 12:51 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(01-25-2012, 10:59 AM)SaintAndrew Wrote:
(01-25-2012, 10:45 AM)Petertherock Wrote: So, I went to the NO Mass for the first time in well over a year this morning. I went to the Church where I go to make visits to the Blessed Sacrament. I know the priest there and he is very good and as traditional as you get for the NO. He actually veils the crucifix and statues during Holy Week which is the first time I have ever seen that in the NO.

Anyway, I brought my Little Office book with me so I could pray the office before Mass. Father was also praying the Office when I walked into the Church. When Father came out for Mass he started Mass by reciting the Angelus at the foot of the Altar (technically that was before Mass began.) I liked the new translation. It is a lot better than the old translation. Although there were a few people who were still saying the old responses. The only thing I didn't like was they had a woman reader reading the Epistle, the Psalm and the Alleluia. But if that's the worst thing then I can deal with it.

It was the Feast of St. Pau's conversion so it was nice. Also, in the Missal a few things I liked was instead of the "opening prayer" they call it the Collect which I like. Also, in the Missal they have little descriptions of the different parts of the Mass and before the Consecration they make sure to emphasize that this is the Sacrifice of Calvary. Obviously I am not going to stop going to the TLM...the NO Mass still feels so lacking and indeed it is lacking in the richness of the TLM, but at least I have the Graces of being able to receive Communion and worship God more than once a week. At least I found a Mass I can go to without my blood boiling from all the abuses.
St. Anthony's in Westbrook is the most heretical situation I've ever seen.

Ever.

Valentine's Day 2010. "The Rose" was being played by the "band" before mass. Yep. And I do mean band. Every instrument imaginable.

The priest during the homily - "now I want every married couple to stand-up and hold hands and look each other in the eyes, and repeat these words - you're going to renew your wedding vows."

I SWEAR ON MY ROSARY HE SAID THAT.....

Then, before Easter 2010, regarding the yearly confessional obligation Catholics have, he said, "you do know as practicing Catholics, you should go to confession at least once a year, but you only really need to go to confession if you're in mortal sin, and if you were in mortal sin, you probably wouldn't be here at mass today anyway."

Shocked

Then, Easter vigil 2010.

It was so bad that I left before the adult RCIA class could be confirmed.

The litany of the saints?

It was sung - with the band playing - to the tune of  "As the Saint go marching in".

The priest didn't like Bishop Malone - he thought the Bishop was "too strict."

Unbelievable stuff..............heresy on another level.

Thankfully I have never been to St. Anthony's in Westbrook. I am glad to have read this because I have considered giving that Church a try...at least from the outside, it looks like a traditional looking Church...but from my experience, the worst Priests are at the traditional looking Churches! St. Joseph's in Portland is a nice looking trad looking Church and yet they have the Tabernacle hid in a side chapel and that is the Church that was formerly run by the Capuchins and they had the priest that said "The Church used to teach there was mortal sin..." and he said there is no need for confession. Now it's run by Jesuits who are just as bad, if not worse than the Capuchins.

But I am glad I found a place where the daily Mass is at least tolerable. Also, the last I remember, the noon daily Mass at the Cathedral in Portland was pretty good too.
Have you been inside Pius X on Ocean Ave.Huh?Huh?

Hideous. Absolutely.............reeeeally modern... Puke

Especially with THAT name!!!!

Oh yes...they are the priests that took over at St. Joseph's when the Capuchins left. That's the Church where the priest acted like I was committing a grave mortal sin when I asked if I could receive Holy Communion kneeling...his response was, "Oh God please! No not that!" That was the last time I went to that Church. They begin each Mass by telling everyone to turn to their neighbor and say hello to them. Ugggh...they also have a priest there that said that no Priest or Bishop has a right to deny Communion to anyone, including politicians, just because they support abortions...because Communion is a meal and when you have a meal with Jesus that's how change begins in the soul.  Eye-roll

That's about the worst I have seen...also, one of the priests wrote an article in the bulletin saying the Latin Mass must be marginalized because it's anti women and doesn't allow the people to participate in the Mass  Eye-roll Eye-roll Eye-roll
(01-25-2012, 01:43 PM)Aenigmata in Tenebris Wrote:
(01-25-2012, 12:17 PM)SimplyCatholic Wrote: I'm sorry but the Novus Ordo is the Novus Ordo.  In my experience, you get more graces for avoiding it altogether than for going every day--or at all, even if the TLM isn't available.  I went for over a year, and little by little it ripped away my faith.  When I came back to Tradition again, I swore it off once and for all. 

If a Mass rips you away from your faith then obviously you have no Faith. Now granted, there are some NO Masses that have downright heretical priests and I would avoid these Churches myself. But as long as you have an orthodox Holy Priest, even the NO Mass will give you graces. Obviously, if I had the choice I would go to the TLM over the NO...but since there is no Daily TLM around here, I am stuck. I am fortunate to have the TLM on Sunday's and Holy Days...but one of the biggest things is I want to complete the First Friday devotion.

Attacking someone else's faith seems a little aggressive. I feel like adding a clarification - like all the bishops that studied the Mass and that Ottoviani referenced in his "Intervention", the NO in its most rigorously faithful inception was/is an abomination. Since in the decades since its inception it has further fallen (much further) to such depths as to not even resemble a mass anymore, I would not grace it with that title. I can see how it can rip at one's faith in its most basic form - so much more when you compound exponentially with the common abuses of our day.

And you seem to stress that having a NO priest who is conservative is a plus? How does it change an "abomination"? Beside that you seem to imply that the majority of NO priests are scandalous in their behavior at Church - else why would you make a point of finding a "mostly traditional" priest? The Catholic Church is supposed to be ONE, and the liturgy and sacraments are to be as Christ directed them to be, certainly not at the whim of individual men. If you cannot see this, then it seems your faith has been ripped at as well in attending the subjective rites of men.

My intention was not to attack anyone's Faith. Just pointing out that if a reverent NO done correctly (although technically the only correct way would be ad orientum and all but the propers in Latin...but I digress) is a Catholic Mass. Now, I certainly would avoid any NO or TLM that was filled with abuses and I would avoid any Church where the priest preaches heresies as in the cases I mentioned. If one does not want to attend a NO Mass, that's their decision. I am not going to call them right or wrong...they and they alone are going to have to answer to that at their judgement. But I also don't think it's right for people to tell people who do go to the NO that they are sinning by going to the NO Mass. I know I have done this in the past myself, and I was wrong.
In my experience (which granted, is limited in variety of parishes at which I've attended daily Mass), the daily Masses at most NO parishes are a LOT less offensive than the Sunday Masses. There are usually a lot of older people and religious sisters at daily Mass and they seem to appreciate reverence. The difference between daily Mass and Sunday Mass at the parish our family is registered at is astounding.
(01-25-2012, 03:23 PM)alicewyf Wrote: In my experience (which granted, is limited in variety of parishes at which I've attended daily Mass), the daily Masses at most NO parishes are a LOT less offensive than the Sunday Masses. There are usually a lot of older people and religious sisters at daily Mass and they seem to appreciate reverence. The difference between daily Mass and Sunday Mass at the parish our family is registered at is astounding.

I'd have to agree.  Even in some churches where there are liberal priests, the daily Mass isn't too offensive.  There's still CITH and sometimes (but not always) a lay reader.  Some have EMHCs, too, but again, not all.  On Sunday those last two are almost a given, although where I work there are no EMHCs, thankfully and the priest says Mass ad orientam.
(01-25-2012, 02:17 PM)Petertherock Wrote: Oh yes...they are the priests that took over at St. Joseph's when the Capuchins left. That's the Church where the priest acted like I was committing a grave mortal sin when I asked if I could receive Holy Communion kneeling...his response was, "Oh God please! No not that!" That was the last time I went to that Church.

Something like that happened to me too.

Obviously I started kneeling for Communion when at the NO in order to show reverence, but it has had an interesting side effect.  I always try to ask the priest first and his reaction seems to correspond to the orthodoxy and reverence of the Mass.  It works as a quick test for determining which NOs I will be able to stand.
(01-25-2012, 01:43 PM)Aenigmata in Tenebris Wrote:

Thank you.  And you basically made the point better than I did--it's an abomination.  The Mass of all time is not to be conflated with subjective rites of men.  Much less should they be substituted for it.