My experience at the NO
(01-26-2012, 08:35 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 08:33 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: TC, there's a program that will allow you to block JayneK which may allow you to stop using that emoticon.

Don't encourage him to stop.  I like him admitting that he has no reasonable argument to make.

It's pathetic to keep seeing in that emoticon.  Honestly, I'd be in favor of it's removal because it encourages people to reply with contempt and not an argument.  If one feels that a particular statement is erroneous, either don't reply or address the false premise or whatever the issue is.

TC, this is not directed personally at you- I feel that way pretty much any time I see it used.  I make a point not to use it, although I'm sure I have in the past and am ashamed.  Maybe my feelings on it are a little strong. 
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
Where is the Church document that says the Pope cannot foster a harmful rite on Latin Rite Catholics???
(01-26-2012, 08:39 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: It's pathetic to keep seeing in that emoticon.  Honestly, I'd be in favor of it's removal because it encourages people to reply with contempt and not an argument.  If one feels that a particular statement is erroneous, either don't reply or address the false premise or whatever the issue is.

:eyeroll:
(01-26-2012, 09:46 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 08:39 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: It's pathetic to keep seeing in that emoticon.  Honestly, I'd be in favor of it's removal because it encourages people to reply with contempt and not an argument.  If one feels that a particular statement is erroneous, either don't reply or address the false premise or whatever the issue is.

:eyeroll:

Now, this, on the other hand, is a fantastic emoticon:  :bronxcheer:

Go thy ways, old Jack;
(01-26-2012, 08:39 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 08:35 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 08:33 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: TC, there's a program that will allow you to block JayneK which may allow you to stop using that emoticon.

Don't encourage him to stop.  I like him admitting that he has no reasonable argument to make.

It's pathetic to keep seeing in that emoticon.  Honestly, I'd be in favor of it's removal because it encourages people to reply with contempt and not an argument.  If one feels that a particular statement is erroneous, either don't reply or address the false premise or whatever the issue is.

TC, this is not directed personally at you- I feel that way pretty much any time I see it used.  I make a point not to use it, although I'm sure I have in the past and am ashamed.  Maybe my feelings on it are a little strong. 

Sorry, it is true I should reply with an argument but in some cases people are not interested in an argument, they simply want to bable some nonsense, cause a problem and run off when asked to justify themselves, when I know this will happen I simply use that emoticon, though I perhaps I should simply ignore them instead.

Oh? I may use it  :grin:
(01-26-2012, 10:22 PM)TrentCath Wrote:

Oh? I may use it  :grin:

I'm sure Ros or tmw can acquaint you with it.

Go thy ways, old Jack;
(01-26-2012, 07:59 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 04:12 PM)Norbert Wrote: What is outrageous to me is that non-attendees/people who don't believe the NO fulfills an obligation attack, attack, attack the "bad fruit" of the NO but the instant someone says they have a good spiritual experience with it, or yes, ,stay Catholic because it is around, then suddenly 1) that's just "feelings and opinions" and 2) I, or others like me are being "spiritually weak" because we can't make it on our own without some form of liturgy.

A nice ad hominem but neither I nor anyone on this thread has done it.

When people can provide theological reasons and authority for their view then perhaps people will take them seriously, until then those who attend the NO and come on here often to criticise those who don't are just doing this  :deadhorse:

Anywho...as to not calling anyone spiritually weak, I said that I couldn't make it without the NO and two things were IMMEDIATELY said.  1) that "my feelings don't matter".  and 2) that my opinion "smacks of modernism".  Read the thread. 

My theological argument is that the Vatican is not defective and has the authority to promote the NO as it exists at a core rubrical level.  It's pretty basic Roman Catholicism as far as I'm concerned.
There seems to be a lot of people on this forum these days who like the NO. Kind of strange. How about you NO lovers switch over to a forum called "Fish Eaters or Some Other Act of Penance, Sort of Traditional Catholic Forum".  Just a suggestion.
(01-26-2012, 10:55 PM)Dewi Wrote: There seems to be a lot of people on this forum these days who like the NO. Kind of strange. How about you NO lovers switch over to a forum called "Fish Eaters or Some Other Act of Penance, Sort of Traditional Catholic Forum".  Just a suggestion.

Admitting the validity of the NO isn't against the rules.  Using oneself as the "Catholic meter" to measure how Catholic other people is.

eta clarity

Go thy ways, old Jack;