My experience at the NO
(01-26-2012, 11:35 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: Chill Someone1776. I was specifically referring to the part about the Pope. I know about The authority of the Magesterium of the Church's teachings.
Thanks for the info anyways!
:)

We are not "free to reject" the teachings of the pope in such a way that I think you're describing.  The way you have described it, one would ask what the purpose of the papacy was for the first 1800 years of it before the first ex cathedra proclamation.  Really, with the exception of obviously erroneous teachings (which would happen as a private theologian, not as the pope) we are in effect obliged to follow all that the pope teaches on faith and morals, ex cathedra or not.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
Who is Fr. Cekada?
(01-26-2012, 11:41 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: Who is Fr. Cekada?

Sede priest, but his little list is handy. 
(01-26-2012, 11:41 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 11:35 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: Chill Someone1776. I was specifically referring to the part about the Pope. I know about The authority of the Magesterium of the Church's teachings.

We are not "free to reject" the teachings of the pope in such a way that I think you're describing.  The way you have described it, one would ask what the purpose of the papacy was for the first 1800 years of it before the first ex cathedra proclamation.  Really, with the exception of obviously erroneous teachings (which would happen as a private theologian, not as the pope) we are in effect obliged to follow all that the pope teaches on faith and morals, ex cathedra or not.
That's why we have the Magesterium of the Church and it's teachings. Before the first papal bull was enacted. I know this. It's called Tradition of the Church.
Again. just the little part in bold. no more.  
(01-26-2012, 11:42 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:

That figures. Can you see anything out of place with that checklist?
Just asking.
(01-26-2012, 11:41 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:

You don't have to believe the "personal opinions" of Popes when they write books or even when they hold papal audiences (I believe).  But, when exercising their power as pontiff though the promulgation of official church documents touching on faith and morals or by engaging in church disciplinary action you are required to give your assent.  You aren't required to believe in what they are saying if it is not infallible.  But, you do have to give your assent to.  In short you can't say what the Pope is saying and doing will send you to Hell if you comply.  There are ways to discuss what the Pope is saying, but you can't begin from the position that the Pope is in error.  

The Pope also has no guarantee that he has any idea what he is talking about on science, politics, and economics.  

He might not make the correct disciplinary acts.  He might engage in the wrong strategy for the Church.  You are able to question his choices to a degree, but can't question that he has the authority to do so.  

The Pope has no protection from personal immorality.  But, he can't preach heresy when using his public authority to teach on faith and morals.  
(01-26-2012, 11:45 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 11:42 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:

That figures. Can you see anything out of place with that checklist?
Just asking.

Watcha talking about, Willis?
(01-26-2012, 11:50 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: The Pope has no protection from personal immorality.  But, he can't preach heresy when using his public authority to teach on faith and morals.  
Again, ad nauseam,  agreed.
(01-27-2012, 12:10 AM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 11:50 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: The Pope has no protection from personal immorality.  But, he can't preach heresy when using his public authority to teach on faith and morals.  
Again, ad nauseam,   agreed.

Okay, so what do you say to this?

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_v...um_en.html
(01-27-2012, 12:11 AM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(01-27-2012, 12:10 AM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
Again, ad nauseam,   agreed.

Okay, so what do you say to this?

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_v...um_en.html

Impressive way you handled that.

More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.