Luther was WHAT?
Is the Holy Father ramping up on the liberal agenda recently or is it my imagination?
(01-25-2012, 10:25 PM)Gerard Wrote: Is the Holy Father ramping up on the liberal agenda recently or is it my imagination?

Nope.  Between this and the Neocatechumenal Way mere months after Assissi III, it looks like they're gearing up for a Springtime unlike any other.

Cuckoo
*sigh*

The crisis continues.  It is not really getting better, friends.
I am sure that all those Catholics martyred due to the Protestant revolt appreciate the Holy Father's words. Why stop at Luther? Let's throw in Cromwell as well. He didn't start anything, but he sure did a great job furthering the cause. I am sure that all of my ancestors will understand and get over.
(01-26-2012, 08:52 AM)verenaerin Wrote: I am sure that all those Catholics martyred due to the Protestant revolt appreciate the Holy Father's words.
I got chills with this. So true.
Yeah, it seems even the Protestants realize Luther wasn't all that great. Rumors of his imminent rehabilitation or canonization or whatnot seem to pop up every year, probably so much so that no one really paid attention to it this time (it seems this happened in September and I hadn't yet heard of it.)

It is odd seeing the Pope praise Luther, not just the obvious reason of him being the Pope, but supposedly Ratzinger was the author of this:

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontif...ic_en.html

(this is the official response of the Catholic Church to the joint statement on justification--the joint statement being merely the product of the joint commission that produced it; this is the Church's position on the contents of that joint statement).

He also criticizes Luther's theology in Spe Salvi and in one of his books he really picks him apart (I want to say Called to Communion, but I can't say for sure).

The knee jerk reaction from my self is that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

But let's be honest.  The Holy Father will know more about Luther and his theology than any of we do.  In fact I only know a little about the man.  It's not my job to be studying the lives of such men.

But that does fall under the remit of a Bishop, the Bishop of Rome even more so.  The Holy Father's an academic at heart.  You can argue about whether academics make good Popes, but let's be honest, he's a lot smarter than you or me and knows what he's talking about.

As originally said, it does leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I won't turn to tabloid rags and armchair theologians for answers.
(01-27-2012, 02:35 AM)City Smurf Wrote: The knee jerk reaction from my self is that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

But let's be honest.  The Holy Father will know more about Luther and his theology than any of we do.  In fact I only know a little about the man.  It's not my job to be studying the lives of such men.

But that does fall under the remit of a Bishop, the Bishop of Rome even more so.  The Holy Father's an academic at heart.  You can argue about whether academics make good Popes, but let's be honest, he's a lot smarter than you or me and knows what he's talking about.

As originally said, it does leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I won't turn to tabloid rags and armchair theologians for answers.

No need to turn to armchair theologians.  Commentaries on the Bible have clearly implicated Luther as Wormwood, a miserable cleric who failed and instead of seeking forgiveness attempted to justify his narcissism by ripping apart Christianity.  And, in the process dragging who knows how many millions with him.

There is no need to even discuss this.  I have said before that I doubt the quincentennial celebration will take place for various reasons.  I'll leave it at that and not deconstruct this obvious absurdity out of respect for the office of the Pope.
No theological degree necessary...Luther's words speak for themselves. It was clear to me that he was crazy, even as a protestant.  I was reading his correspondence with Erasmus for a class once and thought "I'm supposed to be on his side? But Erasmus makes so much more sense."  Huh?
Maybe we will get St. John Paul II and St. Martin Luther together at the same time!!

Indeed, the Church is truly in eclipse.  While the Pope lauds tradition one day and Modernism/Humanism/Protestantism the next, I believe it is all just a smoke screen.  The agenda of the Modernist infiltrators who run the ecclesiastical structure of the Church is preceding along just as they want it to.