A Modern Plague: Possible Chastisement Scenario
(01-26-2012, 01:08 AM)verenaerin Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 12:16 AM)DrBombay Wrote: I'd rather avoid a chastisement altogether.  The thing about chastisements is, the purpose is to chastise sinners.  And since I am one, well....no thank you. I don't have any desire whatsoever that this nation or world be struck down by some horrible chastisement.  What a hideous thought.

Many times I wish for something to happen. When I think about all those babies being murdered in abortions, or how pedophilia is so rampant in our society, the only thing I see as a solution is Divine intervention. Kinda like in the Greek (I think) plays when the hand of God comes down and removes the problem. I am sure that if a terrible chastisement would come upon us, I would find it very difficult and wish for the good ol' days of now. But as much as a chastisement seems horrible, if we are at a point where we deserve it, it much be so much worse for God to see such sin. Not sure if I make sense...

Don't forget the Bible Story where God promised Abraham that for the sake of 10 just men he wouldn't destroy Sodom. Pray, sacrifice, but be very careful wishing for a plague or punishment. There is always hope while even just a few good and faithful people remain.
(01-26-2012, 10:49 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(01-25-2012, 08:27 PM)kingtheoden Wrote: Barack Obama, the alleged President,

Are you a sede ovaloffician?

Ha!  I have not crafted the terms quite like that, but yes I suppose so.  Forgetting about his birthplace for the moment, his leaving the country for Indonesia forfeited his citizenship under the law at the time.  And he has not provided documentation indicated when he reapplied for citizenship.

Furthermore, his school records are secret, probably because they show he applied as a foreign national.  The GOP doesn't care and would rather prance down the aisle with this scumbag, with smiles to complement their coiffed blow-dried hair, than stand up for the laws they supposedly care so deeply about.

Also, the birth certificate they claimed to release is clearly modified by a computer program.
(01-27-2012, 02:16 AM)Guardian Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 01:08 AM)verenaerin Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 12:16 AM)DrBombay Wrote: I'd rather avoid a chastisement altogether.  The thing about chastisements is, the purpose is to chastise sinners.  And since I am one, well....no thank you. I don't have any desire whatsoever that this nation or world be struck down by some horrible chastisement.  What a hideous thought.

Many times I wish for something to happen. When I think about all those babies being murdered in abortions, or how pedophilia is so rampant in our society, the only thing I see as a solution is Divine intervention. Kinda like in the Greek (I think) plays when the hand of God comes down and removes the problem. I am sure that if a terrible chastisement would come upon us, I would find it very difficult and wish for the good ol' days of now. But as much as a chastisement seems horrible, if we are at a point where we deserve it, it much be so much worse for God to see such sin. Not sure if I make sense...

Don't forget the Bible Story where God promised Abraham that for the sake of 10 just men he wouldn't destroy Sodom. Pray, sacrifice, but be very careful wishing for a plague or punishment. There is always hope while even just a few good and faithful people remain.

It's not a vengeance thing. It's more to stop the suffering and pain of the innocent.
Surrendering to God's will is what it is.

tim
(01-27-2012, 12:11 PM)Tim Wrote: Surrendering to God's will is what it is.

tim

Exactly, Tim.

Based on the warning from Our Lady and the fact that things have not generally improved, not to mention the immediate and confounding economic problems we face, it seems that something terrible will occur even if it is mitigated.

tim

Surrendering yes, but not wishing or praying for it to occur. 
(01-27-2012, 03:25 PM)Guardian Wrote:

tim

If you know something is going to happen, do you pray that you will be brought through it or that it will go away?  For me, I believe the warning of Fatima as it is a consistant development of other warnings.  Great visionaries, like St. Padre Pio, foresaw a great punishment too. 

When Europe was uniformly Christian and its governments Catholic monarchs, there were chastisements from time to time for relatively lesser transgressions.  Can we really look around today, especially if we accept Fatima, and think there will be anything but a chastisement?  I think it is more fitting that, when we approach this topic in our prayers, we pray for mercy and that we learn from a mitigated, lessened chastisement than pray that none happen.
(01-27-2012, 05:43 PM)kingtheoden Wrote:

tim

If you know something is going to happen, do you pray that you will be brought through it or that it will go away?  For me, I believe the warning of Fatima as it is a consistant development of other warnings.  Great visionaries, like St. Padre Pio, foresaw a great punishment too. 

When Europe was uniformly Christian and its governments Catholic monarchs, there were chastisements from time to time for relatively lesser transgressions.  Can we really look around today, especially if we accept Fatima, and think there will be anything but a chastisement?  I think it is more fitting that, when we approach this topic in our prayers, we pray for mercy and that we learn from a mitigated, lessened chastisement than pray that none happen.

Every day I pray for Christ's mercy on my soul and those of my family and loved ones.  I know sooner or later the chastisment is going to happen, and I pray that God will be merciful to me when it does.   

(01-26-2012, 01:08 AM)verenaerin Wrote: Many times I wish for something to happen. When I think about all those babies being murdered in abortions, or how pedophilia is so rampant in our society, the only thing I see as a solution is Divine intervention. Kinda like in the Greek (I think) plays when the hand of God comes down and removes the problem.

Its possible I'm misinterpretting this, but it sounded like they were praying for the God to come down and end the suffering of the innocent by wiping out, cleansing, destroying, (insert your own adjective) all the evildoers.  Yes, pray and sacrifice for the end to abortion, but I don't think praying for the end of the world, or a "lessened chastisement" is necessarily the logical course of action. 
(01-27-2012, 05:56 PM)Guardian Wrote:

tim

Every day I pray for Christ's mercy on my soul and those of my family and loved ones.  I know sooner or later the chastisment is going to happen, and I pray that God will be merciful to me when it does.   

(01-26-2012, 01:08 AM)verenaerin Wrote: Many times I wish for something to happen. When I think about all those babies being murdered in abortions, or how pedophilia is so rampant in our society, the only thing I see as a solution is Divine intervention. Kinda like in the Greek (I think) plays when the hand of God comes down and removes the problem.

Its possible I'm misinterpretting this, but it sounded like they were praying for the God to come down and end the suffering of the innocent by wiping out, cleansing, destroying, (insert your own adjective) all the evildoers.  Yes, pray and sacrifice for the end to abortion, but I don't think praying for the end of the world, or a "lessened chastisement" is necessarily the logical course of action. 

There is a difference between the end of the world and a chastisement. I don't pray for the end of the world. I don't limit God in how He decides to defend his most innocent. He could incinerate pedophiles, convert them Saul/Paul style, whatever. The point is not what is done to them, the point is the protection of our most vulnerable.
(01-27-2012, 06:57 PM)verenaerin Wrote:
(01-27-2012, 05:56 PM)Guardian Wrote:

tim

There is a difference between the end of the world and a chastisement. I don't pray for the end of the world. I don't limit God in how He decides to defend his most innocent. He could incinerate pedophiles, convert them Saul/Paul style, whatever. The point is not what is done to them, the point is the protection of our most vulnerable.

So....now I'm limiting God because I pray for His mercy instead of praying for a chastisement? That makes sense. 

Protection for the unborn is paramount.  Got it.  There are millions of helpless little babies being slaughtered daily.  Got it.  We both want and pray for God to intervene.  If He decides that the best way to get the job done is to incinerate them then that's His choice; I absolutely don't presume to know His plan or tell God how best way to go about things.  I just don't "wish" or pray for a chastisement as a way to solve the problem which is what you said in your original post. 

"Dear God, my neighbor has committed terrible sins against me and against the rest of mankind.  Please come down and annihilate him.  Or maybe instead just chastise him.  Take away everything he owns and cast him into the street penniless because he deserves it." Really?

With a thought God could snuff out every person who has ever worked in an abortion clinic.  But with that same thought, He could reverse certain laws therefore totally ending abortion and getting our country back on track.... I choose to pray for His mercy rather than His vengeance.