Firing Line 1980; Catholic Orthodoxy
(01-26-2012, 07:03 PM)fatiam13 Wrote: Apparently Mons. Champlin is the only one of the 4 still alive. Wonder how he feels about the springtime of V2 in the intervening 32 years. Probably still sees  a lot of good things happening.

He died in 2008, RIP.  Springtime was superlative, he thought springtime was spending over $150,000 on a sidewalk, parkbench, and landscaping next to the Cathedral where he resided before
his death. Of course, it is named after him.
Guess he took Springtime literally, meanwhile every innercity Catholic grammar school was closed expect one (barely) (most are now charter schools or rented by the city or deteriorating)
Btw, no surprise but he wasn't so gentle or charitable to trads.

(01-26-2012, 07:06 PM)tmw89 Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 02:29 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 02:20 PM)Gerard Wrote: Just watched the whole thing on Amazon Instant Video. 

They just don't discuss things like this anymore on television or radio. 

Everyone was charitable and Fr. Martin when moderating asked, fair provocative questions and admitted his bias towards tradition openly. 

There aren't a lot of shows anymore where you can sit down and talk at length about a topic in an intelligent manner.

I would count The McLaughlin Group as such a show... if it wasn't for Elanor Clift  :LOL:

The McLaughlin Group is a fast paced show that covers the issues quickly.  It's good for what it is, but it isn't a show where you examine a single issue inside and out over a long expanse of time.  There are a few shows that still do that kind of thing, but not many. 
Watched the whole thing again this evening.  It was interesting to see Fr. Martin in the role of "Examiner."  You could actually see elements of the Jesuit training in him coming through.  It had a European/Inquisitorial aspect to it.  You could get the sense that Fr. Martin was accustomed to the high level of expectations and scrutiny that the Old Jesuits were put through as well as the experience in Vatican politics.  He played Devil's Advocate to both Davies and Mons. Champlin and their positions, bearing down and calling them both "wishy washy" on a few answers, challenging their answers.  Davies of course, was able to answer Fr. Martin's question beautifully.  Fr. Martin employed the Vatican II argument that Latin had to go and the Liturgy had to open up to new cultures that were not formed in the Mediterranean area etc.  Davies pointed out that St. Augustine managed to convert the horrible Saxons with the Latin Mass and if the English could accept it, so could any other culture.  It was a beautiful exchange.  Fr. Martin also grilled Mons. Champlin about his comparing Archbishop LeFebvre with Hans Kung.  And he bluntly called Kung a heretic and listed the heresies. 
Is it worth buying for $4.99?
(01-27-2012, 01:23 AM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Is it worth buying for $4.99?

An hour of watching Michael Davies mop up the floor with a lover of Vatican II, with the addition of Buckley pointing out some funny common sense comments and Malachi Martin at the end.  Priceless. :)

I enjoyed it and will periodically watch it again just to enjoy the scenario. 

I honestly didn't learn anything new when it comes to the substance of the debate. It was 1980 and Davies was as accurate and completely formed as a teacher/lecturer as he was 20 years later. 

They were still trying to get a grasp on JPII it seems and there were a lot of comparisons to Paul VI and was JPII trying to "reverse it"?  Interesting from a historical perspective and indicative of a papacy that starts out "conservative" and winds up promoting the liberals agenda in the Church. 

(01-26-2012, 02:20 PM)Gerard Wrote: Just watched the whole thing on Amazon Instant Video. 

Everyone was charitable and Fr. Martin when moderating asked, fair provocative questions and admitted his bias towards tradition openly. 

I have never heard of this service. Is that something you have to pay for to view? 

Could you provide more info. I think I too would like to watch this entire episode.
(01-27-2012, 03:18 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote:

I have never heard of this service. Is that something you have to pay for to view? 

Could you provide more info. I think I too would like to watch this entire episode.

You can pay $0.99 for a one time viewing.
(01-27-2012, 03:18 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: I have never heard of this service. Is that something you have to pay for to view? 

Here's a link that might help you.  I've found that the service works pretty well. You have to sift through the garbage like any TV or movie service but aside from the Firing line, they have a few collections of Bishop Sheen, some good music offerings, cooking shows, old movies that are tolerable to decent.  Old TV like Bonanza which is fairly harmless and often edifying. 

Of course, they also have a lot of Rifftrax and Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes which are hilarious.
(01-27-2012, 12:29 PM)Gerard Wrote:
(01-27-2012, 03:18 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: I have never heard of this service. Is that something you have to pay for to view? 

Here's a link that might help you.  I've found that the service works pretty well. You have to sift through the garbage like any TV or movie service but aside from the Firing line, they have a few collections of Bishop Sheen, some good music offerings, cooking shows, old movies that are tolerable to decent.  Old TV like Bonanza which is fairly harmless and often edifying. 

Of course, they also have a lot of Rifftrax and Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes which are hilarious.

Thanks for the info, Gerard. I don't see a link, but I take it I just go to Amazon Instant Video and look it up by the date which I see from youtube is April 22, 1980.

I will definitely have to check this service out.
Ooops!  Sorry for forgetting the link.  :blush:

General info on Amazon Instant Video
http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/star...33-7405226

The Firing Line episode

http://www.amazon.com/Firing-William-Buckley-Catholic-Orthodoxy/dp/B006JIX4XM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327684867&sr=8-1