Firing Line 1980; Catholic Orthodoxy
A very interesting episode of Firing. WFB is joined by Michael Davies and Fr. Champlin (of whom I know nothing about), with Fr. Malachi Martin as observer.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z73BSp5kGzI
[/video]

An Amazon review sums it up:
Quote:Four heavyweights in Catholic current events discuss the consequences of John Paul II's suspension of Hans Kung's canonical license to teach Catholic theology and the merits of Paul VI's "New Mass" which, by this time, has been in use in the USA for approximately ten years. Malachi Martin and Michael Davies demonstrate complete understanding of the crisis facing the Catholic world in 1980, something that very few of their contemporaries did.
A convert to Catholicism at 21, Davies is 44 and is delightfully young in this interview. He's at the pinnacle of his intellectual life, having already written groundbreaking books. He's dripping in hard facts. He offers the most cogent defense of Marcel Lefebvre and the Tridentine Rite that anyone had heard at the time becase these were years of great confusion. Long before the rest of us had any idea of what we would confront by 2000, he offers listeners a precise analysis of the dangerous Liturgical Revolution unleashed by Pope John XXII's Council and Pope Paul VI's New Mass. Likewise, he offers a clear cut understanding of the true nature of the Catholic priesthood.
Malachi Martin with two incisive questions makes his point. He's scholarly, eminent and entirely above the fray. Bill Buckley, always the intellectual, is the inquiring Catholic layman and journalist.
By contrast, in his Roman collar at a time when the Catholic hierarchy still enjoyed the tremendous respect and esteem of the laity, Msgr. Joseph Champlin is a "liturgist" and priest of the diocese of Syracuse. He is a loyal son of the Council and represents all of the positions the other three participants find so questionable. His defense of his position, always charitable, deferential, and gentle.... is never very convincing.
All four gentlemen are deceased. Except for Msgr. Champlin, I followed them closely over the years and miss their brilliant insights very much.
That must have been when Buckley was into smoking Pot, or he was hung over.  How do you screw up the name of the Pope?  "Pope Paul John", I'm sure he loved being corrected by Michael Davies right out of the box.

Also, it's apparent how much of a lost opportunity JPII was and how he had a lot of traditionalist hopes in him.

C.P. thank for posting, hope to find the whole segment.  Quite impressive and to see Fr. Champlin squirm and grimace is priceless. Be assured Malachi knew
all about Fr. Champlin and the fact he never became bishop speaks volumes especially in those free for all days.  Davis is brilliant as usual.  Buckster has mildly
oh, i really don't -give- a- darn- look and the producer added the anti-thesis, Champlin for the sheep.  The dialogue would have been real interesting behind the
camera...

C.P. i am hooked now.
Sorry about getting you hooked. I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to all 4 of them talk.
What a great find! I loved seeing Michael Davies again. God bless him.. Wow. A blast from the past.
Just watched the whole thing on Amazon Instant Video. 

They just don't discuss things like this anymore on television or radio. 

Everyone was charitable and Fr. Martin when moderating asked, fair provocative questions and admitted his bias towards tradition openly. 

(01-26-2012, 02:20 PM)Gerard Wrote: Just watched the whole thing on Amazon Instant Video. 

Everyone was charitable and Fr. Martin when moderating asked, fair provocative questions and admitted his bias towards tradition openly. 

There aren't a lot of shows anymore where you can sit down and talk at length about a topic in an intelligent manner.
Marked so I can watch it later.
Apparently Mons. Champlin is the only one of the 4 still alive. Wonder how he feels about the springtime of V2 in the intervening 32 years. Probably still sees  a lot of good things happening.
(01-26-2012, 02:29 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 02:20 PM)Gerard Wrote: Just watched the whole thing on Amazon Instant Video. 

There aren't a lot of shows anymore where you can sit down and talk at length about a topic in an intelligent manner.

I would count The McLaughlin Group as such a show... if it wasn't for Elanor Clift  :LOL: