Vatican defends transfer of Official.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory...yIp7SOhBT4
Quote:The Vatican on Thursday defended its transfer of a top official to Washington after he exposed alleged corruption in the awarding of Holy See contracts.

The Vatican also warned that it could take legal action against a TV show that reported on the case. The Italian investigative news program, "The Untouchables," showed letters from Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano to Pope Benedict XVI begging not to be transferred after exposing corruption costing the Vatican millions of euros (dollars).

Vigano was removed in October as the No. 2 administrator of the Vatican city-state and was named the pope's ambassador to Washington. While the job is highly prestigious, the posting took Vigano far from headquarters and out of the running for the Vatican's top administrative job, which carries with it the rank of cardinal.

The Vatican statement said Vigano was given one of the most important roles in Vatican diplomacy, citing this as proof of Benedict's "unquestionable respect and trust" in him.

The statement did not respond to specific allegations aired Wednesday night on the news show on the private La7 network. It criticized "questionable journalistic methods" such as revealing confidential documents and complained that information was presented "in a superficial and biased manner."

The Holy See also said it would pursue "all opportune ways, if necessary, legal measures" to protect the reputation of Vatican officials mentioned in the program.

Another report goes into more detail. Basically, Archbishop Vigano discovered corruption with the Vatican finances. He developed a reputation as a "ballbuster" and the corrupt agencies started pushing for his removal. He saw this attack on him and begged the Pope to not transfer him, even if the transfer was a promotion, because he did not want to enable the corrupt parties. Seven months later, he was made Papal Nuncio to the U.S. (prestigious position but a demotion for Archbishop Vigano) and the Vatican is threatening to sue the news agency that broke the story.

I'm so tired of hearing this stuff. I really am. The corruption is deep; nothing is ever going to change within the Vatican. I try to stay away from this type of news so as not to be discouraged, but it's impossible.
Well of course we are to take the media at face value.  Corrupt Vatican officials have obviously exiled this poor fellow.  And we can all guess rightly that the Pope himself was behind it.
The poor guy was wasting his energy. All that time wasted on financial corruption in the Vatican. Moral and doctrinal corruption should have been in his sights. I don't really care that much about Vatican finances. In the history of the Church, cardinals have operated like military dictators, and have done very good jobs in the moral and doctrinal sphere.  Plus, ratting out your brothers with the help of the media? Sounds fishy to me, and he had to go, as no one would have trusted him afterwards anyway.
(01-27-2012, 12:45 AM)damooster Wrote: I'm so tired of hearing this stuff. I really am. The corruption is deep; nothing is ever going to change within the Vatican. I try to stay away from this type of news so as not to be discouraged, but it's impossible.

Do what I do.  Ignore the news.  I haven't opened a newspaper or magazine in years.  I don't watch news on teevee and I only hear it on the radio if it happens to come on while I'm listening and there's nothing else on another station of interest to me at the moment. 

Ignorance truly is bliss.  I figure if its important enough someone here on FE will post about it.