The New Angelus Magazine: Cause for Worry?
I just finished looking at this description of the new Angelus magazine:

http://sspx.org/district_news/the_angelu...7-2012.htm

There I saw this:

"A final characteristic of the new style is its positivity. Devoid of any aggressive and imposing elements, we are committed to avoiding unnecessary polemics..."

This softening raises my skeptical antennae. Should it? Could this, for example, be a signal that the SSPX is going to accept the Doctrinal Preamble?
I think it's a matter of prudence. I pray that a reconciliation with Rome comes quickly!
Why would positivity and avoiding polemics be worrisome?  Huh?
(01-28-2012, 09:05 PM)Spooky Wrote: Why would positivity and avoiding polemics be worrisome?  Huh?

We don't skip and whistle while the house is burning down.

We'll see how it works out.
"avoiding unnecessary polemics" doesn't seem to rule out the occasion of necessary polemics Wink

I mentioned in another thread that one of the weaknesses of modern and post-modern philosophy is that it is a reaction against something rather than something coherent in itself.  I think in general it is more powerful to say "this is what we are" than "this is what we are not".  If the amount of time the SSPX spends warning the faithful about the problems in the Church eclipses the amount of time they spend teaching the core concepts of the faith itself, that would worry me more because they would be teaching a very hollow message.  If the faithful are solidly grounded in real Catholicism, they will be able to recognize error more quickly themselves.  As a parent, I'm mindful of the need to find a balance between chasing after my kids saying "no!" all the time and giving them something positive to do and to be about so they spend less time headed toward what they ought not do.
It's not my call to make, but it will be a huge benefit to the Church in general to have SSPX granted faculties.  It seems they are very close to this point and if they accept an offer for some kind of prelature, they are in.

It would be extremely hard for the hierarchy to 'suspend' them again the moment SSPX Priest begin their counter-offensive on what the Church is -and is not-  but from within.  This would also liberate the preaching of ICKSP and FSSP. 

The trend is clear and probably the hierarchy will delay long enough that it becomes too late to prevent at least some of what is coming (actual anti-Catholic policies of the Obama government.)  Once it becomes clear that the cash to the Bishops from the Feds is gone and Obama is still going to hound them until they have to tithe to Baal and Moloch, I think enough Bishops will be sufficiently freaked out to let in SSPX without protest.

We have to pray for the Armed Forces, especially Marines as they are directly answerable to the President.  Perhaps the scumbag who acts as the President now will overreach such that the limp noodle politicians and financiers who right now have power instantly lose it.  But we will not come by victory in America without a serious struggle; no one is crowned without trial.
(01-28-2012, 09:10 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote:
(01-28-2012, 09:05 PM)Spooky Wrote: Why would positivity and avoiding polemics be worrisome?  Huh?

We don't skip and whistle while the house is burning down.

We'll see how it works out.

positivity =/= frivolity
(01-28-2012, 11:57 PM)Spooky Wrote: positivity =/= frivolity

Let's hope you're right.
Keep reading.  The copy continues...
"...For sure, we will denounce outrages whenever they occur, but primarily we want to stand out by positive reporting, by well-written, encouraging, and sound articles..."

Please forgive my posting without a proper introduction.  I read the forum from time to time but rarely ever post.  No time to, unfortunately.
(01-28-2012, 08:32 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote: I just finished looking at this description of the new Angelus magazine:

http://sspx.org/district_news/the_angelu...7-2012.htm

There I saw this:

"A final characteristic of the new style is its positivity. Devoid of any aggressive and imposing elements, we are committed to avoiding unnecessary polemics..."

This softening raises my skeptical antennae. Should it? Could this, for example, be a signal that the SSPX is going to accept the Doctrinal Preamble?

Well, there's a logical long-jump, for certain.