"Eucharist" as an un-articled proper noun
(01-29-2012, 05:54 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(01-29-2012, 05:05 PM)Master_P Wrote: It's because they don't want to say the word "Mass".

Example: "Will you be at 9 o' clock Eucharist tomorrow?"   

Exactly. In the end, it's just as simple as that.

Only a completely misguided or ignorant person would venture to ascribe "good intentions" to those people behind the revolutionary programme called "Novus Ordo." Things like these have been happening for decades, eroding the faith of Catholics worldwide step by step.

The Gospel reading at Mass today was the one where Jesus calms the storm.  In his homily, the priest talked about its various metaphorical meanings.  One of these is that Peter's boat is a symbol of the Church.  The apostles one the boat look at the storm and the waves coming over the boat and say, "Lord, save us, we perish!"  Jesus answered them,"Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith?"  And He commanded the waves and the sea to be still.

We do not need to be fearful.  Leaving out the word "the" is not a plot to destroy the Church and even if it were it would not succeed.  God will save us from the storm assaulting the Church just as surely as he calmed the storm in today's Gospel.  Have faith.
(01-29-2012, 06:07 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(01-29-2012, 05:54 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(01-29-2012, 05:05 PM)Master_P Wrote: It's because they don't want to say the word "Mass".

Example: "Will you be at 9 o' clock Eucharist tomorrow?"   

Exactly. In the end, it's just as simple as that.

Only a completely misguided or ignorant person would venture to ascribe "good intentions" to those people behind the revolutionary programme called "Novus Ordo." Things like these have been happening for decades, eroding the faith of Catholics worldwide step by step.

The Gospel reading at Mass today was the one where Jesus calms the storm.  In his homily, the priest talked about its various metaphorical meanings.  One of these is that Peter's boat is a symbol of the Church.  The apostles one the boat look at the storm and the waves coming over the boat and say, "Lord, save us, we perish!"  Jesus answered them,"Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith?"  And He commanded the waves and the sea to be still.

We do not need to be fearful.  Leaving out the word "the" is not a plot to destroy the Church and even if it were it would not succeed.  God will save us from the storm assaulting the Church just as surely as he calmed the storm in today's Gospel.  Have faith.

Leaving out the article "the" is not a plot to destroy the Church, it's just affectation.

But the conscious and repetitive omission of the word "mass" from parishes worldwide is a product of the revolution to destroy the Church. That revolution is quite real, whether you want to admit it or not.
It seems to be a literalization for "thanksgiving". It seems like an attempt to be archaic without it actually being a current usage. It is probably just a trendy thing to say right now.

OED
4. Thanksgiving.
1604    R. Cawdrey Table Alphabet.,  Eucharist, a thanksgiuing.
1644    Bp. J. Taylor Apol. Litvrgie §38  For which ability they should do well to pay their eucharist to the Holy Ghost.
1691    J. Norris Pract. Disc. Divine Subj. 225  The Second calls for our Praise and Eucharist.
a1716    R. South Serm. (1744) VII. 12  He‥is‥led through a vale of tears to the region of eucharist and hallelujahs.
1879    F. W. Farrar Life & Work St. Paul II. ix. xxxii. 80  Adding their Amen to the voice of Eucharist.
They key is that if this is a symptom of a larger problem, as people suspect, then there should be clear things which are obviously wrong.

It is odd, and probably a result of something atypical, but a person saying it with no other oddities which are noteworthy should be written off as an oddity.

I think we'd all agree that a parish (or individual) infected with error does not have a single marker of such a benign nature, and are otherwise perfectly ordinary orthodox Catholics. It is not difficult at all to find the modernists. One does not have to scrutinize phrases.

That at least is a good thing about the crisis. It is not subtle at all.
(01-29-2012, 05:42 PM)Spooky Wrote: This is a common tactic of the NO. It falls in line with "We are Church" "being Church" "doing Eucharist" "celebrate Eucharist". It's so annoying, and right off you can tell it's going to be a liberal parish. When they drop the article they also often call themselves a "Catholic Community" instead of a parish and use phrases like "faith journey" and "social justice", use so-called inclusive language, and of course, dialogue

This is EXACTLY it.  Spooky hit the nail on the head.  Just what I was trying to say, except she did it about 400 times better.
(01-29-2012, 06:14 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Leaving out the article "the" is not a plot to destroy the Church, it's just affectation.

But the conscious and repetitive omission of the word "mass" from parishes worldwide is a product of the revolution to destroy the Church. That revolution is quite real, whether you want to admit it or not.

I have been to many parishes where the NO is said and I cannot think of one that omits the word "Mass".  What makes you think this is a world wide problem?
Back in the day I sat in on a RCIA class. The priest that taught some of the sessions hammered into the whole group that we are to use the word Eucharist instead of Mass. He would get the group to repeat it over and over. He explained why he thought we should have women priests. He said that a really good way to do Mass is around a dinner table in someone's home. He said our hosts do not look like real bread and that there are real good churches that use breat that looks like real bread. He also made fun of a person who went to confession and confessed that he had impure thoughts. He said we should confess that we didn't give money to a panhandler, instead.

I know many people think the book AA-1025 was fake. Maybe  it was. Maybe it's a coincidence. But this priest spoke verbatum like a priest in line with the communist infiltration in the book. He suggested the same things. He advocated the same things.

The point is, names matter. Chirst didn't give Peter a name for nothing.

In my estimation using the word eucharist, in the mind of a person living today, signifies a break with the past. Since we've broken with the past we are going to invent new rules and the old rules no longer apply. It's also a way to imply that the Mass is all about receiving the eucharist. As in, every time you go to Mass, you should receive, whether you are in the state of grace or not.
I've noticed this at my church. It bothers me in the way that all incorrect grammar bothers me, and slightly more because it's referring to a sacrament (or to the Mass, depending on the context). I've also noticed the complete absence of the term "Holy Communion," or even just "Communion" itself.  Shrug maybe it's just another sign of language evolving in a way that I don't particularly care for, like the way "gift" is being used more and more often as a verb.  LOL
(01-29-2012, 08:21 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(01-29-2012, 06:14 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Leaving out the article "the" is not a plot to destroy the Church, it's just affectation.

I have been to many parishes where the NO is said and I cannot think of one that omits the word "Mass".  What makes you think this is a world wide problem?
Jayne, I've been to NO mass in at least a dozen US states and also in Germany.  While I would not say using "Eucharist" for "the Mass" is universal, I have found - in my personal experience - that it is very widespread often occurs in parishes that are trying to cultivate a "community" atmosphere and where the sacrificial character of the Mass is nearly completely obscured (which is probably a majority of them).  I agree with you that this may often be done out of what are "good" motives by those who unthinkingly promote this usage, but I definitely agree with Vetus that this is a product of the destructive processes that have been at work in the Church.
(01-29-2012, 09:43 PM)Landelinus Wrote:
(01-29-2012, 08:21 PM)JayneK Wrote:

Jayne, I've been to NO mass in at least a dozen US states and also in Germany.  While I would not say using "Eucharist" for "the Mass" is universal, I have found - in my personal experience - that it is very widespread often occurs in parishes that are trying to cultivate a "community" atmosphere and where the sacrificial character of the Mass is nearly completely obscured (which is probably a majority of them).  I agree with you that this may often be done out of what are "good" motives by those who unthinkingly promote this usage, but I definitely agree with Vetus that this is a product of the destructive processes that have been at work in the Church.

Well that explains why I haven't come across it.  I avoid liberal parishes.

If this terminology is associated with further obscuring the sacrificial nature of the Mass (which is already a problem in the NO), then it certainly is a very bad thing.  I suspect that the vast majority of people who talk like this either think they are doing something good or don't think about it at all.  They have no clue how destructive it is.