"Eucharist" as an un-articled proper noun
(01-30-2012, 09:26 AM)su Wrote: Again, if this is indicative of a problem, more obvious signs of the problem should be apparent.

Although I agree with you, su/Rosarium, I also have issues with this expression, as well as the use of "church" as given in the examples.  I've heard both, but mostly from lay people; I've hardly ever heard a priest say it, but I have read articles exhorting us to be "church" to each other, and as far as I can recall, the word always had quotes around it.  This makes me think it's meant to be a metaphor.  In other words, it's a metaphorical way of saying that we must bring the Church to others, i.e. evangelize.

There are two problems with this, however (or I should say, at least two).  First, the fact that it's a metaphor has obviously been lost; and two ... I hate hearing that expression!  >:(  It's an unnecessary change, and one that doesn't make anything easier to understand.  If I say, "We must bring Christ to each other" how is that less clear than "We must be 'church' to each other"?  I dont' think it is. 

Messages In This Thread
Re: "Eucharist" as an un-articled proper noun - by HolySouls - 01-30-2012, 11:05 AM