The Parish Prayer
After the Latin NO we attended was unceremoniously dumped by our old parish, and the attendees shat upon, we ended up as refugees at the cafeteria Catholic NO parish nearby.

The said parish begins Mass with its parish prayer.....a generic prayer to its patroness; doesn't appear to be a classic prayer from the Catholic canon.....purely some Protestant drivel that you could get off of a Barnes & Noble calendar.  I instinctively dislike this.  It appears to me to imply that the congregation should apply its allegiance to the parish only, and that the "faith community"  Puke of the parish is somehow standing alone in its "specialness".

Is this a common practice?  In 45 years of very bad Masses, this is the first time I have encountered this.

I guess I would prefer and expect to be in solidarity with the Universal Church by 1) sharing in a standard liturgy, and 2) by a commonality of prayer, rather than the expectation that "we here at St. Swizzle's are a community".  Unite me to the Holy Father, and all the bishops and priests of the world, and all my coreligionists with universal and unchanging prayers, not some "my parish is special" hooey.

Kindly opine.
When Archbishop Carlson made a pastoral visit to St. Francis de Sales Oratory last October ( pictures ), before Mass began, he ascended the altar and read the Collect for the feast of St. Francis de Sales -- even though it was not his feast day. (Today is, actually.)

Also, the patronal feast day of a parish is a local 1st Class Feast (I think) -- which is why it can be celebrated on a Sunday and with extra pomp, even though the neighbouring parishes cannot even commemorate it.

I don't see either of these, nor the prayer you mention, as breaking the unity of the church.  Rather, in a certain way, it seems to be encouraged by the rubrics themselves.

Edited.