Which Bible?
KC-

The Douay Rheims is the most accurate translate from the Latin Vulgate, which is completely without error.  Personally I would suggest the Haydock edition because it has comprehensive commentaries.  It is extremely scholarly and routs erroneous interpretations.

I think the going price is $110, so it is not an impulse buy.  There are less expensive Douay Rheims editions that would be nonetheless useful!
Here's the DR online:

http://www.drbo.org/
(01-29-2012, 06:12 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Here's the DR online:

http://www.drbo.org/

From page one:

(01-29-2012, 04:00 PM)su Wrote:
(01-29-2012, 03:53 PM)knittycat Wrote: I've started buying a Catholic book a month. This month I've decided to buy a bible. I have a KJV, and a tatty paperback NAB.
What bible is superior? The New American Bible, the Revised Standard edition, or The Douey-Rhimes? I don't want to cough up 35 bucks for a nice bible, only to realize I should have bought this other version instead, yanno?
(next month, the catechim of trent)

If you live in the USA, contact me and I will let you know what books, including Bibles, I have available. I have some books to send away to others and I'd give them to you (although if you paid shipping, it would help) if you want.

I recommend the D-R. You can read these online if you want.

http://drbo.org/

I'll let you go since you just got back...

(Welcome back)
The Douay Rheims version.  I also like the Confraternity New Testament.
(01-29-2012, 06:11 PM)kingtheoden Wrote: KC-

The Douay Rheims is the most accurate translate from the Latin Vulgate, which is completely without error.  Personally I would suggest the Haydock edition because it has comprehensive commentaries.  It is extremely scholarly and routs erroneous interpretations.

I think the going price is $110, so it is not an impulse buy.  There are less expensive Douay Rheims editions that would be nonetheless useful!

But I can dream Wink
(01-29-2012, 07:15 PM)knittycat Wrote:

But I can dream Wink
I bought mine like this for $35.
Believe me, the demons of Hell despise this edition like nothing else.....................................
[Image: catalog1865.jpg]

But I can dream Wink

KC, I am also in a spot where I'm trying to get more Catholic books but have to be extremely judicious about the budget.  Let me just say, if you ever have an extra 110 laying around, there's no better investment than the Haydock.  300 is probably a fair price for that bible.  Definitely worth it.  Hopefully you'll get your hands on one someday!
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(01-29-2012, 08:23 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote:

But I can dream Wink
I bought mine like this for $35.
Believe me, the demons of Hell despise this edition like nothing else.....................................

We were speaking of the Haydock version of the DR bible. It's a tad more expensive. *grabbyhands*

But I can dream Wink

You need a magnifying glass as well with the print version of the Haydock. (two volumes, soft cover)  I have it, but the notes are in such small print, I often go online and use that just to spare myself the eyestrain. 
(01-29-2012, 08:23 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote: I bought mine like this for $35.

I have the same one - the "large" print brings it up from the standard biblically-microscopic to what you find in most normal books.  I like that they put the words of Our Lord in red too.  It's $60 on Amazon, but I got mine for around CDN$40 and it's well worth either price.