Phoenix Bishop Thomas Olmsted: Defy feds on birth control
Yeah that's right. While some of you were wringing your hands over the "violent" language concerning homosexuality in documents issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, this kind of stuff was creeping into the water supply.

Well done, goofballs.

Then there are the people who pray millions of rosaries for the conversion of Russia. Blood brothers of a different feather.

Well done, goofballs.

Schism is not the answer, Tim. Unity is.

UNITY!
I didn't suggest it as a solution more as a way to formalize what has already taken place. The rosary is our best weapon. Neither party gives two shits about us. Maybe a 400,000 person march each year from now until whenever will get 'er done. Because that march against abortion was sooo successful, they passed the health bill. The liberals in the church do not make 54%, they had conservative support. That's the unity.

tim
(01-29-2012, 09:02 PM)verenaerin Wrote: the line is definitely being drawn in the sand. The US Bishops are leaving no room for compromise on this issue

For the moment. These men without chests will cave. You'll see.
(01-29-2012, 11:55 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote:
(01-29-2012, 09:02 PM)verenaerin Wrote: the line is definitely being drawn in the sand. The US Bishops are leaving no room for compromise on this issue

For the moment. These men without chests will cave. You'll see.

Both of you are right. Some will oppose it and rally the Catholics, and the others will cave with the full support of their followers. Don't forget the fallen away which are approx. 50 million. Obama hasn't. He'll be able to say a majority of Catholics are for this.

tim
His Excellency Most Rev. David A. Zubik, Bishop of Pittsburgh:

Quote:    Kathleen Sebelius and through her, the Obama administration, have said “To Hell with You” to the Catholic faithful of the United States.

To Hell with your religious beliefs,
    To Hell with your religious liberty,
    To Hell with your freedom of conscience.

We’ll give you a year, they are saying, and then you have to knuckle under. As Cardinal-designate Timothy Dolan, archbishop of New York and president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops responded, “in effect, the president is saying that we have a year to figure out how to violate our consciences.”

As I wrote to you last September, with this mandate the democratic process is being ignored while we are being ordered to ignore our religious beliefs. And we are being told not only to violate our beliefs, but to pay directly for that violation; to subsidize the imposition of a contraceptive and abortion culture on every person in the United States.

It is time to go back to work. They have given us a year to adapt to this rule. We can’t! We simply cannot!

Write to the president.

Write to Secretary Sebelius.

Write to our Senators.

Write to those in Congress.

[...]

This mandate can be changed by Congressional pressure. The only way that action will happen is if you and I take action.

Let them know that you and I will not allow ourselves to be pushed around (or worse yet) be dismissed because of our Catholic faith.

Let them know that you and I will not allow our religious freedom to be compromised.

Let them know that you and I will not allow our religious liberty to be rescinded.

Nobody, not even the president of the United States or anyone who represents him, has the right to say to you and to me as U.S. citizens, as Catholics, or as both: “To Hell with You.”

The president and our elected leaders need to hear from you and me and to listen to us NOW. 

Cardinal Wuerl also had a letter read in every church yesterday morning. I am praying for our bishops.
(01-29-2012, 10:38 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Why should a Switz, a Brit, a Frenchie and a Spaniard give a damn what happens in America?  Answer:  They shouldn't and obviously don't. Don't expect some blustering statement of outrage from the SSPX.  They probably couldn't even tell you who the American president is. 

This.

Though I bet they could tell you who the American president is.
WRC and Dr. Bombay, you guys are too much.

So are you telling me that at the conclusion of Low Mass in the SSPX Chapels, the prayers ordered by the Pope are not said? Or do they cross their fingers at the prayer that begins, "O God, our refuge and our strength," and ends with these words, "hear our prayers for the conversion of sinners, and for the LIBERTY and EXALTATION of our holy Mother the Church. Through the same Christ our Lord."?

If so, things are more screwed up then I thought.

V. Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.

R. Have Mercy on us.
I've never been to an SSPX chapel so I don't know what they do there.

But the only trad bishops are Society bishops, and they probably don't spend much time worrying about American government health policy.
(01-30-2012, 05:34 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: But the only trad bishops are Society bishops.

There are a number of American Sede bishops too.