Phoenix Bishop Thomas Olmsted: Defy feds on birth control
(01-29-2012, 09:47 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(01-29-2012, 09:22 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Why haven't the traditionalist bishops said anything, yet?  Isn't that kind of weird? 

Ha!  Good point, I haven't seen the Kyrie Eleison comments even mention this.  Sounds like trad bishops are going Michael Voris on us.

Let's not be too hasty. Give it some time. This is just the beginning.
(01-29-2012, 09:22 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Why haven't the traditionalist bishops said anything, yet?  Isn't that kind of weird? 

Talked to my mom. the Bishop in the Lehigh Valley didn't say anything, which everyone was surprised about.

Where is this going? What are the stats of Catholics using birth control. I can see people getting behind no abortions, but BC? Will there be an exodus from the church of those using BC and the like? If a majority of Catholics are using BC, who will rally with the Bishops? We are talking about a small pool of people. The anemic responses from Bishops on just about everything, spare a few individuals, has done nothing but bored the faithful. Add the abuses, now you have groups that are angry at them. So those that follow what the Bishops will ask will be those that don't contracept, look beyond the abuses, go to Mass, care and are motivated to do something, can get over not having a TLM when asked, etc. How many can there be?
(01-29-2012, 09:57 PM)Heinrich Wrote:

Ha!  Good point, I haven't seen the Kyrie Eleison comments even mention this.  Sounds like trad bishops are going Michael Voris on us.

Yea, this thing is just beginning. By the time this thing is over, everyone will be on one side or the other.

Which ones are you speaking about? If you are talking about SSPX, my theory is that they are above it all.

Perhaps if they were part of the fight, and part of the so-called Conference, they might be able to do something that may bear fruit.

But, as long as they insist that Rome needs to bend to their demands, it appears they have bigger fish to fry while the world grows ever darker.
(01-29-2012, 09:57 PM)Heinrich Wrote:

How long have we've been hearing this? 
(01-29-2012, 10:02 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: How long have we've been hearing this?

I have no problem with these people. And I think they can be doing a lot of good.

But, while there is much work to be done in the vineyard, they seem to be outside the wall arguing over which hoes to use, and how to man the plow.

No offense meant to anyone, nor am I trying to bait or pick a fight.

Just sayin'.
Why should a Switz, a Brit, a Frenchie and a Spaniard give a damn what happens in America?  Answer:  They shouldn't and obviously don't. Don't expect some blustering statement of outrage from the SSPX.  They probably couldn't even tell you who the American president is. 
If Obama pushes a little harder this could be the Schism. Voris said in one of his recent video that 98% of Catholics at some time use the pill etc. Both NCR papers have reported in the past 75%- 80%.  I'm waiting for the Sr. Joans of the flannel shirt society to speak their piece. I'm encouraged to see the outrage from the Bishops.

Rosaries !

tim
(01-29-2012, 10:38 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Why should a Switz, a Brit, a Frenchie and a Spaniard give a damn what happens in America?  Answer:  They shouldn't and obviously don't. Don't expect some blustering statement of outrage from the SSPX.  They probably couldn't even tell you who the American president is. 

Well they should care. After all, Americanism ala John Courtney Murray, was instrumental in bringing about the diabolical spirit of VII which has been the crux of the problem, IMHO.

If what you say is true, they obviously do not have a good read on the problem it is they are trying to solve. Which may in fact be true, and would go a heck of a long way in explaining quite a few things.

But as long as they wish to play the part of the Donatists, and not lift a finger to help those that may not be up to snuff, according to them, they are basically useless.

So, getting back to the "exemption", as I understand it from today's sermon, here is how it works. 1) The Catholic Health Institution needs to only employ Catholics, 2) It also needs to serve only Cathoics, and 3) It must promote the Doctrine of the Faith as part of their mission.

My solution would be simple. Fire all non-Catholics. Treat only Catholics. Set up shop like the Salvation Army. You want a donut and a hot cup of tea that tastes like mud, you have to listen to the Gospel. So in this case, they could get involved in decent catechesis for once.

Play the game. And while they are at it, they can also tell them to shove the 501 c status, and dare them to take over Church property. They are already stealing Church property through this mandate. A hospital chain in CA has gone secular. Question, who now holds the deeds to these propertie? They were paid for by the pennies, nickles, and dimes, of our ancestors. Is this the looting of Church property all over again? Seems to remind me of Henry VIII and the looting of the Monastic Estates.

And how did we get here? Multi-culturism, sexual and reproductive rights, and being really nice to all the people on the outside. But, let's not discuss the homosexual influence. We may end up getting mean or something.

(01-29-2012, 10:59 PM)Tim Wrote: If Obama pushes a little harder this could be the Schism. Voris said in one of his recent video that 98% of Catholics at some time use the pill etc. Both NCR papers have reported in the past 75%- 80%.  I'm waiting for the Sr. Joans of the flannel shirt society to speak their piece. I'm encouraged to see the outrage from the Bishops.

Rosaries !

tim

While most Catholics have used birth control I am willing to bet most aren't going to be happy about Obama telling the Church how to run it's affairs. You don't see to many liberal Catholics rooting for Obama on this. Hopefully this can be a great teaching moment to show what birth control is really about.