Phoenix Bishop Thomas Olmsted: Defy feds on birth control
How many are arguing that birth control is objectively  wrong for everyone, by the natural law?  Given the state of the USA and the world it seems most  are effectively reduced to arguing freedom of conscience - that Catholics ought to be allowed to practice their beliefs, and ought not be forced to support abortion in any way. That alone is a good thing, but how sad it is that it is so hard to do more.
Duplicate
(01-30-2012, 05:38 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(01-30-2012, 05:34 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: But the only trad bishops are Society bishops.

There are a number of American Sede bishops too.

Fair point.
(01-29-2012, 10:23 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote:
(01-29-2012, 10:02 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: How long have we've been hearing this?

I have no problem with these people. And I think they can be doing a lot of good.

But, while there is much work to be done in the vineyard, they seem to be outside the wall arguing over which hoes to use, and how to man the plow.

No offense meant to anyone, nor am I trying to bait or pick a fight.

Just sayin'.

' Bear not the yoke with unbelievers. For what participation hath justice with injustice? Or what fellowship hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? Or what part hath the faithful with the unbeliever?' 2 Corinthians 6:14-15

Put practically the SSPX cannot join the 'formal' structure because the pope and the bishops would pull the plow in one direction (away from God) and the SSPX in another (towards God)
A.  Thank God we have bishops standing up for something that's right for once.  No, really.  Thank Him.

B.  It's true, they may eventually cave.  But let's not despair just yet, eh?  Pray!  "The heart of the king (=bishops and Obama) is in the hands of the Lord."

C.  I really don't see what more some of you expect of the SSPX.  They've been warning that this sort of thing was coming for a long, long time.  At my chapel, we had a sermon about what Obama was doing week before last.

D.  Objectively, the SSPX would be correct to say that the issues in the Church (including 1st Commandment stuff!) are more important than issues in the world (even 5th Commandment stuff).  But the truth is, what they emphasize is that we need to do all we can on both points.

E.  The most important thing we can do, on both points, is pray.  This is is God's hands-- not in ours, not in the SSPX bishops', not in the USCCB's, and certainly not in Obama's.

Which is by no means to say we shouldn't also do whatever else we can.
One more thing, on the interest of the SSPX in general, and especially the foreigners therein, in American politics.  At the time of Obama's election, I was actually spending time in an SSPX-affiliated monastery in France.  I can tell you that the interest in the US election was intense.  Not universal, and not overwhelming, as it currently is in the news-- but intense.  I strongly suspect that this would be largely true throughout the SSPX-- after all, this was a monastery.  The secular clergy have much greater reason to be interested in American politics.