*Head's Up -- Day of Fasting and Prayer for the US Bishops -- Fri. Feb 3rd 2012
(01-31-2012, 12:47 AM)Donna Wrote: Forwarded
Pray

Day of Fasting and Prayer for the US Bishops

Public event ·  Stand with the US Bishops against the HHS

When: 3 February at 00:00 until 4 February at 00:00
Where: Universal

Please fast and pray this Friday for the courage of all US bishops and all the faithful.

Invite anyone you wish and spread word!  --- https://www.facebook.com/events/357123940966167/

Stand with the US Bishops against the HHS ---  https://www.facebook.com/CatholicsAgainstHHS

Yes, fast and pray for courage for the spineless NO bishops who welcomed in the abomination in the first place - pray for their conversion to the true faith, until the conversion, there will be no lasting remedy. 

Instead of being defended against, the sin has been allowed to enter, fester and spread, the sin , as should now be obvious, is in charge, *not* the Church, not the bishops - - efforts to rid the sin now, after it has been welcomed, will do no good so long as the bishops and the NO supporters keep welcoming it. Thanks NO - and thanks to all those who support it. 

Pray
Question for the tank.

My wife, who is not Catholic, asked why we are fasting *and* praying for the Bishops.  She didn't understand the purpose of the fasting.  She said: "Why fast?  Just pray.  What does fasting do?"

I mumbled something about fasting being a type of prayer but it was not convincing.  So I started reading up on it in various places and mostly I found reasons like taming the passions so as to make it easier to avoid sin, doing pennace and making it easier to pray by subduing the passions. 

What say you?  In this particular instance where we are praying for a specific intention in conjunction with fasting, what purpose does the fasting serve?  Is it a demonstration of sincerity before God?  An offering of suffering that we hope will please Him? 

Please educate me
Thanks

(02-02-2012, 11:35 PM)Bristol Wrote: Question for the tank.

My wife, who is not Catholic, asked why we are fasting *and* praying for the Bishops.  She didn't understand the purpose of the fasting.  She said: "Why fast?  Just pray.  What does fasting do?"

I mumbled something about fasting being a type of prayer but it was not convincing.  So I started reading up on it in various places and mostly I found reasons like taming the passions so as to make it easier to avoid sin, doing pennace and making it easier to pray by subduing the passions. 

What say you?  In this particular instance where we are praying for a specific intention in conjunction with fasting, what purpose does the fasting serve?  Is it a demonstration of sincerity before God?  An offering of suffering that we hope will please Him? 

Please educate me
Thanks

You (and surely your wife) might find this helpful, from the FE main page on the topic of fast and abstinence: http://www.fisheaters.com/fasting.html
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
The day of fast/prayer does say  it's for  "all the faithful" as well.

I know a non-Catholic who is going to do the day of fast & prayer.

It's where the rubber meets the road, maybe, in praying for those who've not had one's best interests in mind.
Dong forget about today.
(02-03-2012, 08:39 AM)Adam_Michael Wrote: Dong forget about today.

This
(02-03-2012, 01:49 PM)Donna Wrote:
(02-03-2012, 08:39 AM)Adam_Michael Wrote: Dong forget about today.

This
Thanks Donna and Adam.  I keep forgetting it's Friday (busy week).

Please educate me
Thanks

It's a penance we can offer for an intention.

In the Gospel, Our Lord tells the apostles about a certain type of demon that can only be ousted by "prayer *and* fasting."  Fasting is powerful. 
'O Jesus, this is for love of Thee, for the conversion of sinners, and in reparation for the sins committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

Amen.

Dear God through the Immaculate Heart of Mary and Sacred Heart of Jesus I pray that you give your Bishops the strength, wisdom, and grace needed to defeat the HHS Mandate.

Amen

Please educate me
Thanks

It gives more merit to your request. If your kid comes up and asks you for a favor, wouldn't you be more inclined to give it them if they cleaned their room, washed some dishes, and folded laundry? Not the best analogy, I am sure others will have better reasons.