WHO do you blame more for the post-Vatican II issues - John XXIII or Paul VI?
(01-31-2012, 03:59 PM)Gerard Wrote: Notice how the attitude among some is that the Popes get all of the positive credit but none of the blame for anything that goes wrong? 

Some people cry out "Don't judge the Pope!"  But what they really mean is "Don't judge the Pope if he's done anything wrong.  Judge him as "The Great" or "A Blessing" all you want." 

It amazes me how everyone is responsible except the man with the most power in the Church. 

"Still it must be confessed that the number of the enemies of the cross of Christ has in these last days increased exceedingly, who are striving, by arts, entirely new and full of subtlety, to destroy the vital energy of the Church, and, if they can, to overthrow utterly Christ's kingdom itself. Wherefore We may no longer be silent, lest We should seem to fail in Our most sacred duty, and lest the kindness that, in the hope of wiser counsels, We have hitherto shown them, should be attributed to forgetfulness of Our office."-Pascendi : Pope St. Pius X

It seems in terms of his responsibilities to God. Pope St. Pius X felt he was responsible both to and for the faithful in the exercising of his duties and he didn't think it beyond the scope of the faithful to call him a failure if he wasn't vigilant.

(01-31-2012, 04:39 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Since John XXIII and John Paul II are already "blessed" and Paul VI might be on his way, the Vatican II joke is about to be complete.

Both QFT.

(01-31-2012, 05:23 PM)Blessed Pokemon88 Wrote: [ . . . ]

...sorry, Blessed Pokemon88, but when I tried to read your post all I could hear was Ash Ketchum reading it.

[re-reads]

RE John XXIII:  while many (even somebody in this thread) refer to him as "Good Pope John," several orthodox Catholics (such as Cardinal Spellman) had serious misgivings about him from the time of his election.  I think the most damning information now known about the man is that decades before his election, the Sodalitium Pianum (St. Pius X's specialized task-force of sorts for sniffing out clerical heresy) had Roncali on file for suspected modernism.

As for Benedict XVI, I don't know anymore if he's trying to stop the wild car so much as distract his passengers with an old-fashioned sing-along...

Messages In This Thread
Re: WHO do you blame more for the post-Vatican II issues - John XXIII or Paul VI? - by tmw89 - 01-31-2012, 06:13 PM