Pontifical Mass Feast of Candlemass
(02-02-2012, 09:55 PM)Josué Wrote:
(02-02-2012, 09:44 PM)Edward Wrote: nice... first time seeing a live Pontifical Mass. boy.... is the MC busy or what??

do all masses that a bishop offers in the EF have to be pontifical?

By definition (pontiff = bishop, supreme pontiff = pope), yes.  But they can be Pontifical Solemn or Pontifical Low.

Although I could be wrong: a bishops private Mass may not be called a pontifical Mass, I'm not sure.

Also, in extreme conditions (like under severe persecution), I assume a bishop could just celebrate the same low Mass, even without server, as any other priest, using the Missale.
In case you guys don't know, that site for Christ the King in Sarasota offers a Daily Low Mass, and a Low Mass and Sung Mass on Sunday. It's a very handy resource for me, as I can't get around, without serious difficulty. If your current schedule allows you can conveniently  participate at Mass durng the week. Fr. Austin, I believe is his name, celebrates the Low Mass, and he gives these little mini-homilies which many times are thumbnail sketches of the Saint's whose feast is that day. This priest must've gotten the memo from Archbishop Ranjith about limiting homilies to 5 to 8 minutes and keep it to the readings or the saint of the day. Curious how TLM celebrating priests pay attention to the Pope, Huh ?

thought you'd like to know,

tim
Apparently this is more widespread than I guessed:

254 bishops have celebrated Pontifical Masses since SP came into effect, here's a full list:
http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com.au/2...-have.html
this is going to sound rude but as my mother observed why was the church ugly?  She compared it to a gymnasium. 

Was it because of the possible hurricanes and the stained glass was covered? 
Nope, it is a new kind of Church.

tim
(02-02-2012, 09:29 PM)Josué Wrote: It's great hearing the nuns chanting the office and the other hymns for the mass.

Ahahahahaha.....

*groan*

Pope Pius X, Tra le sollecitudini Wrote:13. On the same principle it follows that singers in church have a real liturgical office, and that therefore women, being incapable of exercising such office, cannot be admitted to form part of the choir. Whenever, then, it is desired to employ the acute voices of sopranos and contraltos, these parts must be taken by boys, according to the most ancient usage of the Church.