Do we have a duty to help the poor? How do we quantify that?
(02-03-2012, 11:18 AM)Micawber Wrote: I don't see this as a legitimate use of State power; moreover, for example, sodomy laws do nothing to stop sodomy; among other things, prayer, the Holy Spirit, and evangelism will do so.

I don't think the point is to stop it, really.  The point is to establish that it is contrary to a well-ordered society, and to allow the government to inhibit the ability of people to spread the error that it is not.

Quote:There are many points there - which one do you want me to expand upon and/or point to sources?

I was referring to the idea "that nothing ever prescriptively devised by man for the purpose of reducing poverty/misery, etc., comes even remotely close to the success that the market economy and limited government has had in reducing poverty, increasing access to opportunitites, etc."

Quote:Again, you simply don't understand what a right is - we have a duty to help all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons, and to the extent that we are able.

So you say that a duty does not imply a right?

Quote:I DO NOT believe that we should establish a State religion. 

As soon as we have Traditional Catholics in power (the entire bicameral legislature, the Supreme Court, and the Presidency); and as soon as we know they'll be in power for all the time to come; and if and only if these "Traditional Catholics" are also perfect "Philosopher Kings" with no sinful proclivities at all, including towards aggregating power to themselves; then, once we're given all this, then sure, let's have a new Constitutional convention. 

Until we have these things you are merely pursuing a mirage; and it will end badly.  To try to institute paradise on earth has always ended badly.  If you trust sinful man with too much power, you will get what you deserve: tyranny rammed down your throat.  And trust me, it's not likely to be respectful of traditional catholic teaching.  Don't be a fool.  We are to be as innocent as doves - but wise as serpents; and what belongs to Caesar, etc.

Those were just examples.  What I am trying to get to the bottom of is whether or not the redistribution of wealth for the purposes of heath care is a legitimate function of government - not the US government, just government in general.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Do we have a duty to help the poor? How do we quantify that? - by cgraye - 02-03-2012, 11:44 AM