Do we have a duty to help the poor? How do we quantify that?
Yes, we have a responsibility to help those in need.......... with money or time or prayers or work........35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,  I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’  And the King will answer them, ()‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these (J)my brothers,you did it to me.’

And no, I'm not wealthy.........but, I can usually dig up a couple of hundred dollars if I know that someone needs it & I have a theory that if we all helped our own relatives, we wouldn't need welfare. I have 4 grown children who worked hard to help with their college fund. And I mean HARD!! Two or our sons got a partial athletic scholarship, our daughter got a scholastic scholarship, ALL of them took any summer job they could get...........from working for a man who dug wells to washing dishes in a restaurant. Our daughter worked at 1. Walmart, 2. Hardy's 3. the college cafeteria & still got a degree in Journalism from M.U. in four yrs. We picked up the "rest of the tab".

I came by my feelings of obligation for those who are less fortunate than we are, through the actions of my parents. They taught me to share what I have.....be it money, time, love.................whatever. I have a brother who is an alcoholic. He hasn't had a drink in 12 years.............but it was too late when he quit. He has Cirrhosis, a nasty, dirty disease & he lost everything years ago: his wife, his business, his money & his health. I got him a job where I worked &, though he didn't feel well a lot of the time, he never missed a day of work & he did a GREAT job for the 6 years he was healthy enough to work.

He just spent two complete YEARS in hospitals..........surgeries in a not-for-profit hospital, recovery in the VA hospital. He doesn't need money at this point, he gets SS. now. But, YES, I'm obligated, according to the Word of God to take him out to eat once a week, either myself or my daughter take him grocery shopping once a week, I do his banking, take him to the doctor etc., etc.

I'm not boasting really I'm not, but I feel very strongly about this. There are 5 of us siblings & the others do not agree with me. Charity must be done with love & they feel that "he brought this on himself, he's nothing but a dry drunk, etc. etc." This week, I'm going to take him out for Chinese & to see the movie "War Horse" (got to make sure that it doesn't bring on a PTSD spell first. He served in Vietnam, but the VA. really helped him deal with the aftermath of that.)

Enough of my thoughts, it's God Whose direction we must follow & He made it very clear that we are obligated to help those in need.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Do we have a duty to help the poor? How do we quantify that? - by JoniCath - 02-03-2012, 12:32 PM