scriptural rosary?
thanks everyone!  I think I'll give it a try in a more conducive setting than the Garden State Parkway at rush hour.
(02-03-2012, 10:28 AM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: I like it sometimes ... but it does get in the way of longer periods of mental prayer during the rosary.  I could use it occasionally, but I recently used it with my wife who said, "I couldn't meditate on anything."

I think a longer passage read entirely before each decade may work better.

I have never found the rosary to be easy anyway. Usually I just hold the beads and meditate on one mystery... if I can even do that..
(02-03-2012, 10:28 AM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: I like it sometimes ... but it does get in the way of longer periods of mental prayer during the rosary.  I could use it occasionally, but I recently used it with my wife who said, "I couldn't meditate on anything."

I think a longer passage read entirely before each decade may work better.

This, or as formerbuddhist said, once he gets a good thought he concentrates on that. 

By getting stuck, this is what happened:  I went a few years ago to stations with my mom.  After the stations, they whipped out the scriptural rosary, and found it terrible.  I was stuck because my mom was with me, and I couldn't drive yet.  I haven't been to stations since.
Anything can help on the path to a good meditation whether it's a scripture verse in between every Ave, a full on written reflection about a given mystery or the use of a picture/statue/icon. Even with the best preparation sometimes your prayer is just dry and there is no real meditation at all. There are just many techniques to use that all lead to the same thing--mental prayer and contemplation (or they ideally lead to that). Another thing I read once and it has worked for me on occasion is to close your eyes right after saying the Our Father and spend about two or three minutes thinking about the mystery you are about to pray about. It is just strange sometimes how I can have a good meditation and at others nothing I do seems to work. The scriptural rosary is great for me on the times when I just can't meditate at all but want to keep the ideas flowing through my mind about a given mystery.  I suppose that we pray the rosary well when we set out to do so with attention and devotion and persevere in it even when we cannot seem to meditate at all.
Meh, I can't pray the rosary at all no matter what method is tried.  I find it tedious in the extreme.  God forgive me.
One of the richest books for rosary meditations I've seen is Mother Mary Loyola's "Hail Full of Grace," written in 1906. It's just chock full of things to help you consider the mysteries better. It's in several formats at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/details/hailfullo...00loyouoft