Good Hi Quality Vid of Pius XII
H.H. addresses British GIs primarily in English, with a little French at the end.

this might sound silly but Pope Pius' smile is so infectious! 
Now that's when Popes spoke like Popes.
No blowing sunshine to the Brits. But immediately recalling the English Saints.
My word!
God bless him always!
What a joy to watch.  Thank you for posting.
Exceptional post...nice find!
What a great, great Pope............
A saint, for certain.
I must admit this put tears in my eyes... looking upon those faces of the British GIs.

(02-03-2012, 01:09 AM)Josué Wrote: Pope Pius' smile is so infectious! 

Yes, it is!
(02-03-2012, 11:09 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I must admit this put tears in my eyes... looking upon those faces of the British GIs.

(02-03-2012, 01:09 AM)Josué Wrote: Pope Pius' smile is so infectious! 

Yes, it is!

Me too ! I'm a Pope Pius the 12th kid. Why he hasn't been Canonized is a tragedy. My Dad was probably in theatre with those guys, too. After VE day he went to Paris, Ike promised them two weeks off there before going home. Ike must've forgot because after three days he sent him to the Phillipines.

Do you all sense what those days were like. Those Brits and Canadians, were probably not Catholic, but reverence, respect, joy, and awe was in their eyes. The world was spinning on it's axis even though a truly wicked evil man had tried to ruin it.  I believe for us here in the States, it started to wobble with the legalization of the pill in '64.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on us.

tim
I saw a few second clip of Pius XII being carried on the papal throne, with the papal gaurds, and Pius was giving a blessing to the people.  The dignity of this man astounds me.  I really was tempted to genuflect before the tv seeing that.  And yet was humble enough to get his cassock bloody caring for the Romans after the bombing.