Withholding Truth
"The truth is only for a world that lives by it."

-Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna, from the 1956 movie, Anastasia

"[W]hen we see any one listening carelessly, and when with much entreaty we cannot persuade him to attend, it remains for us to be silent. For if we are still to go on, his carelessness is aggravated. But him that is striving to learn, we lead on, and pour in much."

-St. John Chrysostom, Homily 45, on Matthew 13:10-11

"Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest perhaps they trample them under their feet, and turning upon you, they tear you."

-Matthew 7:6

Friends,

As I continue to realize the amazing extent to which most today - including most so-called Catholics - have been processed by and have given themselves up to the world, I'm becoming ever more reluctant to share any truths with them. I'll give you a small example. A relative recently urged me to see a movie called Extract. She assured me that it was wonderful, hilarious, and that I'd therefore love it. I saw it. I hated it. As it treats adultery in a cavalier fashion, it's a truly vile movie. But having learned not to speak such truths to this person, when she asked what I thought of it, I said only this: "It's not a movie that I'm willing to embrace." I said it in such a way that it was clear that any further discussion of it would be unwelcome. Granted, what I said was true, but it wasn't the whole truth. It was the result of restraining myself from launching into a vicious invective.

At any rate, what do you think? Are you too becoming ever more unwilling to speak any truths, even of the most trivial kind, to those conformed to this world - that is, to most?

Yes, to an extent.  That is why I am talking to you, here.  In this way, we can build each other up in our faith.  The curious can seek us out here, and we can speak.  Of course, the best way we show the truth to the world is in our lives.  Actions, certainly for laymen, often speak louder than words.
I'm now reading Plinio Correa de Oliveira's Revolution and Counter-Revolution. Behold:

The actual counter-revolutionary is not as rare as one might think at first. He has a clear vision of things, a fundamental love for coherence, and a strong soul. For this reason he has a lucid notion of the disorders of the contemporary world and of the catastrophes looming on the horizon. But his very lucidity makes him perceive the full extent of the isolation in which he so frequently finds himself in a chaos that to him appears to have no solution. Thus, many times, the counter-revolutionary keeps a disheartened silence – a sad condition: “Vae Soli” (“Woe to him that is alone”), the Scriptures say.

A counter-revolutionary action must seek, above all, to detect such persons, acquaint them with each other, and lead them to support each other in the public profession of their convictions.

From p. 58 here:

http://www.tfp.org/books/rcr.pdf
(02-03-2012, 08:21 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote: "The truth is only for a world that lives by it."

-Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna, from the 1956 movie, Anastasia

"[W]hen we see any one listening carelessly, and when with much entreaty we cannot persuade him to attend, it remains for us to be silent. For if we are still to go on, his carelessness is aggravated. But him that is striving to learn, we lead on, and pour in much."

-St. John Chrysostom, Homily 45, on Matthew 13:10-11

"Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest perhaps they trample them under their feet, and turning upon you, they tear you."

-Matthew 7:6

Friends,

As I continue to realize the amazing extent to which most today - including most so-called Catholics - have been processed by and have given themselves up to the world, I'm becoming ever more reluctant to share any truths with them. I'll give you a small example. A relative recently urged me to see a movie called Extract. She assured me that it was wonderful, hilarious, and that I'd therefore love it. I saw it. I hated it. As it treats adultery in a cavalier fashion, it's a truly vile movie. But having learned not to speak such truths to this person, when she asked what I thought of it, I said only this: "It's not a movie that I'm willing to embrace." I said it in such a way that it was clear that any further discussion of it would be unwelcome. Granted, what I said was true, but it wasn't the whole truth. It was the result of restraining myself from launching into a vicious invective.

At any rate, what do you think? Are you too becoming ever more unwilling to speak any truths, even of the most trivial kind, to those conformed to this world - that is, to most?

You appear to be forgetting 'Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house.
So let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
' Matthew 5:15-16

By all means be prudent in doing so but we cannot simply never tell the worldly the truth because they do not like it or won't understand for otherwise why would our Lord have said ' Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.' ? Matthew 28:19-20

And again ' For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost. What think you? If a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them should go astray: doth he not leave the ninety-nine in the mountains, and go to seek that which is gone astray? And if it so be that he find it: Amen I say to you, he rejoiceth more for that, than for the ninety-nine that went not astray.  Even so it is not the will of your Father, who is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish. But if thy brother shall offend against thee, go, and rebuke him between thee and him alone. If he shall hear thee, thou shalt gain thy brother.' Matthew 18:11-15

Our Lord died for souls and how will he gain them if we do not tell people the truth? Of course if the choice is between saying nothing and driving people away with vicious invective say nothing, but we should be able to calmly and charitably explain why we do not agree with something. If it is a spiritual matter or something that affects souls we owe it to others in charity to do so and perhaps, depending on their relation to us, in justice too.

I fail in this frequently but I still strive to do it.
Most of the people I come across during the day are work-mates, and they're all either explicit or implicit anti-Christians. Seeing that I need to make a living and not get fired, I keep my mouth shut regarding my religion and my political opinions. Most of my family, I've fought with enough about religion, that at this point it's pearls before swine; God help them.

Catholics aren't door-to-door bible-thumpers. If somebody refuses to hear you, then shake the dust off your feet and move on. What are you supposed to do, harangue people who don't want to hear it? God respects people's free will. He'll condemn them when they enter eternity, but He respects their free-will now.
(02-04-2012, 01:48 AM)charlesh Wrote: Most of the people I come across during the day are work-mates, and they're all either explicit or implicit anti-Christians. Seeing that I need to make a living and not get fired, I keep my mouth shut regarding my religion and my political opinions. Most of my family, I've fought with enough about religion, that at this point it's pearls before swine; God help them.

Catholics aren't door-to-door bible-thumpers. If somebody refuses to hear you, then shake the dust off your feet and move on. What are you supposed to do, harangue people who don't want to hear it? God respects people's free will. He'll condemn them when they enter eternity, but He respects their free-will now.

If somebody refuses to hear and If you have no other opportunity later that would not be imprudent, that is a very different situation from simply withholding truth from someone because they're 'worldly'.

It is not a case of someone going 'Go away' and God just goes 'Ok, fine', no, God continually entreats a soul to convert until the very moment of death.

Clearly I am not saying wave a massive placard around and talk about God 24/7 but where he comes up or where it is possible to talk about him and it is prudent i.e. it is not going to do more harm than good, we should do so.
(02-03-2012, 08:21 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote: A relative recently urged me to see a movie called Extract. She assured me that it was wonderful, hilarious, and that I'd therefore love it. I saw it. I hated it. As it treats adultery in a cavalier fashion, it's a truly vile movie. But having learned not to speak such truths to this person, when she asked what I thought of it, I said only this: "It's not a movie that I'm willing to embrace." I said it in such a way that it was clear that any further discussion of it would be unwelcome. Granted, what I said was true, but it wasn't the whole truth. It was the result of restraining myself from launching into a vicious invective.

Hmm ... if you were willing to subject yourself to the movie, which can be reviewed on many websites, one which is ScreenIt, then why not talk about what you think? It's like you saw the movie and hated it, but aren't willing to tell someone why you hate it. Maybe you doubt your abilities to do this without turning the person off. Maybe you think it would be a waste of time. Since you spent a good hour or two wasting your time with a crappy movie, why not waste some more telling someone how it is crappy?
There is no need to use words to express all of one's thoughts. There is prudence.

However, charity, the love of God, should never cease. If someone asked me a question like that, I'd say the truth such as "it was excessively immodest" or just "I did not like it much".

If your faith is known, then one does not really have to say much. If people ask in innocence what you think, then I think one should express the basics of the moral judgement clearly. If people assume you were taking part in something evil (like the often assumption that everyone engages in certain immoral activities), then I think it is best to always refute it to avoid scandal. You do not need to express anything, but you should make sure the truth is known.

Uncharitable behaviour is never appropriate and if one is struggling to restrain oneself, then keeping it short and possibly too brief would be a prudent move. It would be good if we could all know the best way to express something for the benefit of others, but sometimes, we have to work on our own faults first.

But in general, if one can make it clear that one has clearly defined morals and that one follows them and does not make excuses for transgressions, then one only has to act charitably to others, even those who are in opposition, then they know that you are a Christian in truth and that you are not antagonising them. That is the real problem. If one judges something, then they may feel you are judging them. Making it clear that something is inappropriate for oneself with the implicit meaning that it is never appropriate is a good course too because it avoids confrontation while expressing the truth and most people understand it.
"The number of the elect is so small - so small - that were we to know how small it is, we would faint away with grief: one here and there, scattered up and down the world."

-St. Louis de Montfort, Letter to the Friends of the Cross

"Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine.... Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity."

-Mt. 7:6, 21-23

"And the brother shall betray his brother unto death, and the father his son; and children shall rise up against the parents, and shall work their death."

-Mk. 13:12

In other words, the overwhelming majority of those we meet - including those of our own family - are of the world and its prince, dogs and swine who will only tear and trample upon any pearls given them. Should they not be treated accordingly? Note: I'm not saying that they should be treated with anger or rudely. I'm saying that, unless they give strong indications to the contrary, they should be treated as a blind man would be regarding works of art. We don't show him any paintings, much less do we ask his opinion of any of the great master works. We simply remain silent about them, for he's blind. We leave him to his cave. For he's blind and, strangely, he loves his cave and the blindness it promotes.
(02-04-2012, 04:29 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote: "The number of the elect is so small - so small - that were we to know how small it is, we would faint away with grief: one here and there, scattered up and down the world."

-St. Louis de Montfort, Letter to the Friends of the Cross

"Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine.... Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity."

-Mt. 7:6, 21-23

"And the brother shall betray his brother unto death, and the father his son; and children shall rise up against the parents, and shall work their death."

-Mk. 13:12

In other words, the overwhelming majority of those we meet - including those of our own family - are of the world and its prince, dogs and swine who will only tear and trample upon any pearls given them. Should they not be treated accordingly? Note: I'm not saying that they should be treated with anger or rudely. I'm saying that, unless they give strong indications to the contrary, they should be treated as a blind man would be regarding works of art. We don't show him any paintings, much less do we ask his opinion of any of the great master works. We simply remain silent about them, for he's blind. We leave him to his cave. For he's blind and, strangely, he loves his cave and the blindness it promotes.

I'm sorry but you are inverting the proper order of things, unless one gives strong indications to the contrary one should be open about your beliefs and witness, of course one witnesses better with works than words but with both better still.

Suffice to say If Our Lord took that attitude he would have happily stayed in Galilee, avoided Jerusalem, we can forget about the passion and in fact more likely still would never have become incarnate. If the Apostles had taken this attitude neither St Peter nor St Paul would have gone to Rome nor missionaries to Africa or Asia, the Church is fundamentally missionary and we must be too, according to our state of Life and the requirements of prudence.

You have taken one bible verse, and much like protestants do, misinterpreted it completely and ignored everything to the contrary.