Withholding Truth
To repeat the two scriptural quotes that seem in conflict:

(02-04-2012, 04:29 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote: "[b]Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine[/b]....
-Mt. 7:6, 21

But also:
(02-03-2012, 10:50 PM)TrentCath Wrote: 'Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house.
So let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
' Matthew 5:15-16

It takes real prudence (a gift of the Holy Ghost) to know when to apply one and when to apply the other.
Introversion, cowardliness, laziness, and "slowness of tongue" can make one more frequently use the first one as an excuse, when it shouldn't be. Extroversion, imprudence, pride, and just being talkative can make one live by the second one at inappropriate times.  Both kinds of people may say that their way is the right way.  Really it is hard to tell when you are just making an excuse.. or whether you are just being prudent even though you are doing what is comfortable for you.

But proclaiming our beliefs is the general rule; withdrawing them should seldom be needed.  It is difficult in these times, however.

Prudence is so difficult!
(02-04-2012, 05:22 PM)Doce Me Wrote: Prudence is so difficult!

Tell me about it! And so often I fail but Our Lord and Our Lady and St Joseph will always be there to help us  Smile
(02-04-2012, 05:05 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(02-04-2012, 04:29 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote: "The number of the elect is so small - so small - that were we to know how small it is, we would faint away with grief: one here and there, scattered up and down the world."

-St. Louis de Montfort, Letter to the Friends of the Cross

"Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine.... Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity."

-Mt. 7:6, 21-23

"And the brother shall betray his brother unto death, and the father his son; and children shall rise up against the parents, and shall work their death."

-Mk. 13:12

In other words, the overwhelming majority of those we meet - including those of our own family - are of the world and its prince, dogs and swine who will only tear and trample upon any pearls given them. Should they not be treated accordingly? Note: I'm not saying that they should be treated with anger or rudely. I'm saying that, unless they give strong indications to the contrary, they should be treated as a blind man would be regarding works of art. We don't show him any paintings, much less do we ask his opinion of any of the great master works. We simply remain silent about them, for he's blind. We leave him to his cave. For he's blind and, strangely, he loves his cave and the blindness it promotes.

I'm sorry but you are inverting the proper order of things, unless one gives strong indications to the contrary one should be open about your beliefs and witness, of course one witnesses better with works than words but with both better still.

Suffice to say If Our Lord took that attitude he would have happily stayed in Galilee, avoided Jerusalem, we can forget about the passion and in fact more likely still would never have become incarnate. If the Apostles had taken this attitude neither St Peter nor St Paul would have gone to Rome nor missionaries to Africa or Asia, the Church is fundamentally missionary and we must be too, according to our state of Life and the requirements of prudence.

You have taken one bible verse, and much like protestants do, misinterpreted it completely and ignored everything to the contrary.

+1
Happily, I've just remembered Fr. Balthasar Gracian's great The Art of Worldly Wisdom, which never fails to bring me solace. For example:

Think with the Few and speak with the Many

By swimming against the stream it is impossible to remove error, easy to fall into danger; only a Socrates can undertake it. To dissent from others' views is regarded as an insult, because it is their condemnation. Disgust is doubled on account of the thing blamed and of the person who praised it. Truth is for the few, error is both common and vulgar. The wise man is not known by what he says on the house-tops, for there he speaks not with his own voice but with that of common folly, however much his inmost thoughts may gainsay it. The prudent avoid being contradicted as much as contradicting: though they have their censure ready they are not ready to publish it. Thought is free, force cannot and should not be used to it. The wise man therefore retires into silence, and if he allows himself to come out of it, he does so in the shade and before few and fit persons.

Be careful in Speaking

With your rivals from prudence; with others for the sake of appearance. There is always time to add a word, never to withdraw one. Talk as if you were making your will: the fewer words the less litigation. In trivial matters exercise yourself for the more weighty matters of speech. Profound secrecy has some of the lustre of the divine. He who speaks lightly soon falls or fails.

The Truth, but not the whole Truth

Nothing demands more caution than the truth: ’tis the lancet of the heart. It requires as much to tell the truth as to conceal it. A single lie destroys a whole reputation for integrity. The deceit is regarded as treason and the deceiver as a traitor, which is worse. Yet not all truths can be spoken: some for our own sake, others for the sake of others.

Know how to play the Card of Truth

’Tis dangerous, yet a good man cannot avoid speaking it. But great skill is needed here: the most expert doctors of the soul pay great attention to the means of sweetening the pill of truth. For when it deals with the destroying of illusion it is the quintessence of bitterness. A pleasant manner has here an opportunity for a display of skill: with the same truth it can flatter one and fell another to the ground. Matters of today should be treated as if they were long past. For those who can understand a word is sufficient, and if it does not suffice, it is a case for silence.

(02-04-2012, 05:48 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(02-04-2012, 05:05 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(02-04-2012, 04:29 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote: "The number of the elect is so small - so small - that were we to know how small it is, we would faint away with grief: one here and there, scattered up and down the world."

-St. Louis de Montfort, Letter to the Friends of the Cross

"Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine.... Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity."

-Mt. 7:6, 21-23

"And the brother shall betray his brother unto death, and the father his son; and children shall rise up against the parents, and shall work their death."

-Mk. 13:12

In other words, the overwhelming majority of those we meet - including those of our own family - are of the world and its prince, dogs and swine who will only tear and trample upon any pearls given them. Should they not be treated accordingly? Note: I'm not saying that they should be treated with anger or rudely. I'm saying that, unless they give strong indications to the contrary, they should be treated as a blind man would be regarding works of art. We don't show him any paintings, much less do we ask his opinion of any of the great master works. We simply remain silent about them, for he's blind. We leave him to his cave. For he's blind and, strangely, he loves his cave and the blindness it promotes.

I'm sorry but you are inverting the proper order of things, unless one gives strong indications to the contrary one should be open about your beliefs and witness, of course one witnesses better with works than words but with both better still.

Suffice to say If Our Lord took that attitude he would have happily stayed in Galilee, avoided Jerusalem, we can forget about the passion and in fact more likely still would never have become incarnate. If the Apostles had taken this attitude neither St Peter nor St Paul would have gone to Rome nor missionaries to Africa or Asia, the Church is fundamentally missionary and we must be too, according to our state of Life and the requirements of prudence.

You have taken one bible verse, and much like protestants do, misinterpreted it completely and ignored everything to the contrary.

+1

I want my fishies back  sad  LOL
Jackson, I recommend that you take the position of humility. Just come from the position that you have little wisdom to share, and see where they come to you to open up. I bet that will be a much better method that the "I have the truth but they aren't worthy of it" tack. Pretend you're so ignorant that you don't want to put them off track.
Quote:, when she asked what I thought of it,

It can be helpful to answer with a Question.
What did I think of it in... in what way do you mean exactly?

It's a broad question and wow that could use up a Lot of Brain Cells trying to do an all-encompassing evaluation of the movie from all ages...I'd want a more Specific question

(02-04-2012, 09:07 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Jackson, I recommend that you take the position of humility. Just come from the position that you have little wisdom to share, and see where they come to you to open up. I bet that will be a much better method that the "I have the truth but they aren't worthy of it" tack. Pretend you're so ignorant that you don't want to put them off track.

Many thanks. I'll do so. I recommend that you join me in taking this position of humility by henceforth restraining yourself from offering your blessed counsel in response to virtually every thread or post I make.
(02-04-2012, 09:56 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote:
(02-04-2012, 09:07 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Jackson, I recommend that you take the position of humility. Just come from the position that you have little wisdom to share, and see where they come to you to open up. I bet that will be a much better method that the "I have the truth but they aren't worthy of it" tack. Pretend you're so ignorant that you don't want to put them off track.

Many thanks. I'll do so. I recommend that you join me in taking this position of humility by henceforth restraining yourself from offering your blessed counsel in response to virtually every thread or post I make.

Newsflash: when you post, people respond as they see fit.  That's why it is a forum, and not an echo chamber.
(02-05-2012, 02:55 AM)Parmandur Wrote:
(02-04-2012, 09:56 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote:

Newsflash: when you post, people respond as they see fit.  That's why it is a forum, and not an echo chamber.

Though from the sound of it that's what he'd prefer  LOL