Withholding Truth
Guys c'mon! We should be thrilled that Jackson has decided we were worthy enough for him to share his pearls of wisdom. You're all being ungrateful.  Fo' Shame
(02-04-2012, 09:56 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote:
(02-04-2012, 09:07 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Jackson, I recommend that you take the position of humility. Just come from the position that you have little wisdom to share, and see where they come to you to open up. I bet that will be a much better method that the "I have the truth but they aren't worthy of it" tack. Pretend you're so ignorant that you don't want to put them off track.

Many thanks. I'll do so. I recommend that you join me in taking this position of humility by henceforth restraining yourself from offering your blessed counsel in response to virtually every thread or post I make.

I don't single you out, Jackson. I post on threads that are interesting to me, or I think I can add something valuable to them. This one seemed to warrant a response because of an apparent incongruity of maintaining a position of aloofness and disdain, and yet obsessed with those people you find to be "of the world" and the content of their lives. The idea of withholding truth seems less about being resigned to the reality that evangelization is not effective in a case, but more about confirming one's superiority is knowledge and/or virtue. If we come to evangelization with complete humility, then any success can be given to the Lord, and any failure can be accepted by us, and dissipated in a strong acceptance of our incomplete holiness. Since we never know the souls of others, we never have a true knowledge of them, and therefore we can only conclude that such a thing was due to our failings. We do what we can, but for some reason we cannot offer them what they need to accept the truth. But I don't read this attitude in your postings, and so I felt it should be noted. We aren't going to be effective if we are prideful. People can taste pride a mile away. They'll get the hint that what we want from them is not conversion of life, but a confirmation of our own puffed up egos. We can't be surprised when people don't want to play that game. Be free with the truth, and withhold our ego overlay that clouds its purity.
(02-05-2012, 06:12 AM)Spooky Wrote: Guys c'mon! We should be thrilled that Jackson has decided we were worthy enough for him to share his pearls of wisdom. You're all being ungrateful.   Fo' Shame

LOL
(02-05-2012, 05:12 AM)TrentCath Wrote:
(02-05-2012, 02:55 AM)Parmandur Wrote:
(02-04-2012, 09:56 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote:
(02-04-2012, 09:07 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Jackson, I recommend that you take the position of humility. Just come from the position that you have little wisdom to share, and see where they come to you to open up. I bet that will be a much better method that the "I have the truth but they aren't worthy of it" tack. Pretend you're so ignorant that you don't want to put them off track.

Many thanks. I'll do so. I recommend that you join me in taking this position of humility by henceforth restraining yourself from offering your blessed counsel in response to virtually every thread or post I make.

Newsflash: when you post, people respond as they see fit.  That's why it is a forum, and not an echo chamber.

Though from the sound of it that's what he'd prefer  LOL

Apparently.  LOL
Those who have something other than bromides to offer are now cordially invited to weigh in.
I had to go look up "bromides"
(02-05-2012, 02:07 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote: Those who have something other than bromides to offer are now cordially invited to weigh in.

That would exclude you then
(02-05-2012, 02:48 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(02-05-2012, 02:07 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote: Those who have something other than bromides to offer are now cordially invited to weigh in.

LOL
(02-06-2012, 04:00 AM)Parmandur Wrote:

LOL

Do you really believe that that pathetic rejoinder displayed an ounce of wit? I found it to be like something one might hear on the playground during recess.
(02-06-2012, 02:59 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote:
(02-06-2012, 04:00 AM)Parmandur Wrote:

LOL

Do you really believe that that pathetic rejoinder displayed an ounce of wit? I found it to be like something one might hear on the playground during recess.

Yeah, it was funny.  You don't post here in the spirit of interacting with others, but throw fits when we don't respond the way you want, precisely, and understand your meanings as if they were self-evident.  It was actually a brilliant put-down of a childish comment 9nice vocabulary word aside).