Major FSSP school to close
Below is a letter released just yesterday from Fr. Eric Flood, North American District Superior of the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (FSSP), announcing the closure of the 20-year-old St. Gregory's Academy in Elmhurst, Pa. While you can read the official explanation below, Rorate has been given more detail about the Fraternity's reason for walking away from the school after two decades.

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com.au/2012....html#more
Interesting news. I am close friends with the current rector, who began his assignment there at the beginning of the current school year. He warned that this might happen. There is a well-entrenched mentality among the alumni and the former headmaster (who was fired at the beginning of the school year) that the school was their baby, not the FSSP's. The FSSP's goal this year was to turn it around, but it appears the opposition was too strong. I know the FSSP leadership felt that the school was a significant drain on resources, with very little to show with regard to spiritual fruits (some alumni, for example, fail to identify themselves as Catholics on their Facebook profiles). It had always been a hope of the FSSP for the school to produce vocations, but there hasn't been one. So ultimately, I think Fr. Flood's decision was a prudent one. I think they're better off starting from scratch elsewhere.
Such are the risks of getting into bed with the Conciliar Church.
This is sad news.

However, there was mention that they hope to start a school within the near future (next few years) which will be staffed by more FSSP clergy.

I think this shows that the FSSP need to get cracking and start up a female order which is affiliated with them, and where the nuns will help the priests with their apostolic work, including teaching in schools (very much like the SSPX nuns). I know many, many young ladies who would join an order like this....Please God it will happen some time in the near future. If there are nuns to teach, there is a higher possibility for more FSSP associated schools.
If the alumni and past Rector had an issue with the FSSP, that is indeed a shame.

I know that, for the most part, our SSPX schools continue to grow: places like St. Marys, Post Falls, Denver.  The private girls school in Massena run by the Dominicans and La Salette Academy in Illinois are all experiencing growth.  Vocations all over the place and many fruits.

My children's SSPX School in Warners, NY, BVMMOG Academy http://bvmacademy.lexorandi.com/acad-index.html has over 200 students and is bursting at the seams. Perhaps the FSSP might look to the SSPX for guidance as to how they do it  Smile
(02-04-2012, 09:31 AM)matthew_talbot Wrote: My children's SSPX School in Warners, NY, BVMMOG Academy http://bvmacademy.lexorandi.com/acad-index.html has over 200 students and is bursting at the seams. Perhaps the FSSP might look to the SSPX for guidance as to how they do it  Smile
The SSPX has had to close schools as well. It mainly depends on who runs them.
(02-04-2012, 09:31 AM)matthew_talbot Wrote: If the alumni and past Rector had an issue with the FSSP, that is indeed a shame.

I know that, for the most part, our SSPX schools continue to grow: places like St. Marys, Post Falls, Denver.  The private girls school in Massena run by the Dominicans and La Salette Academy in Illinois are all experiencing growth.  Vocations all over the place and many fruits.

My children's SSPX School in Warners, NY, BVMMOG Academy http://bvmacademy.lexorandi.com/acad-index.html has over 200 students and is bursting at the seams. Perhaps the FSSP might look to the SSPX for guidance as to how they do it  Smile

Really? That's good to hear. Anecdotal evidence from former students leads me to believe that the SSPX school in my state sends most of the graduates away as apostates. Good to know that that's just a problem with this one school and not the whole SSPX.
Not the biggest fan of St Gregs. Not because of the FSSP involvement though. I think it;s a good idea to shut the whole thing down and start again. That particular building they use is gorgeous, and the chapel there is exquisite, Hopefully they will find good use for it,
The SSPX also has many problems and difficulties when it comes to running schools too...

Well, all traditional Catholic academic establishments will always have to deal with these obstacles.
(02-04-2012, 02:31 AM)alphonsusjr Wrote: Such are the risks of getting into bed with the Conciliar Church.

The Roman Catholic Church, outside of which there is no salvation, is the best thing to be with.