Major FSSP school to close
(02-04-2012, 02:36 PM)GeorgeT Wrote: Yeah, you just need to find guys that are more interested in God than in playing video games. Good luck in this day and age.

The men of this era are a billion-part tragedy. Much of this is thanks to selfish baby boomer parents (especially fathers) trying to find their passion in life and ditching their families along the way.

Give me a holy nun over a 30 year old that's a virtual 12 year old any day of the week.

I do love me some video games.

But look, the best way to solve that is to make men a necessity. Men are far more likely to come to work where they are needed. Forbid the teaching of religion to women. Other subjects are okay for nuns. But having female religion teachers undermines the whole idea of religious patriarchy.

Using nuns is settling for less. God deserves more than that.

And while we're there, require clergy to grow beards, give them mandatory martial arts and mace-wielding training, and toss out any saints' images that look like they're wearing rouge or lipstick. You know the ones I'm talking about.
(02-04-2012, 03:43 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: But look, the best way to solve that is to make men a necessity. Men are far more likely to come to work where they are needed. Forbid the teaching of religion to women. Other subjects are okay for nuns. But having female religion teachers undermines the whole idea of religious patriarchy.

There is a lot of truth to this.  One of the problems of our culture is the idea that women can and should do anything that men can do.  This mistaken notion of equality is harmful even in secular areas ( eg. firefighters) and become even moreso when applied to religion.  Men need to be valued and appreciated for their masculine qualities.  We need to acknowledge how much we need them.  The constant message to men "you are expendable" is both incorrect and destructive.
(02-04-2012, 02:26 PM)Might_4_Right Wrote: I was looking at the numbers and I can see how they could be disconcerting to some.

FSSP  has   0 schools
SSPX  has 88 schools + 2 university-level institutes

They have at least 1 boarding school in France I know of and a few more on the continent but still one would think that being 'approved' they could have more schools, but no.
Indeed.

For the record, I'm cool with sisters teaching at all-girls' schools. But for co-ed classes, boys, or religion classes, for God's sake (literally) use men.

Nuns are heavily over-romanticized because of their perceived innocence and sweetness, and their association with pre-Vatican II memories. I'm not trying to knock on the positive experiences of those of you venerable FishEaters who lived in the era. But I am saying it's a less-than-ideal model which capitalizes on free labor because Catholics are apparently cheapskates. So because sisters and little old church secretaries are willing to work for less money or free, the average church today is run by one nominal priest and a gaggle of women. And since the priests tend to be weak men themselves, the hens are running the harem. It's a perverse situation.
(02-04-2012, 04:17 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Indeed.

For the record, I'm cool with sisters teaching at all-girls' schools. But for co-ed classes, boys, or religion classes, for God's sake (literally) use men.

Nuns are heavily over-romanticized because of their perceived innocence and sweetness, and their association with pre-Vatican II memories. I'm not trying to knock on the positive experiences of those of you venerable FishEaters who lived in the era. But I am saying it's a less-than-ideal model which capitalizes on free labor because Catholics are apparently cheapskates. So because sisters and little old church secretaries are willing to work for less money or free, the average church today is run by one nominal priest and a gaggle of women. And since the priests tend to be weak men themselves, the hens are running the harem. It's a perverse situation.

Though there are some orders for women whose charism is teaching.
(02-04-2012, 04:19 PM)TrentCath Wrote: Though there are some orders for women whose charism is teaching.

Then they can build more all-girls schools. Otherwise, they can get back to the cloister. Or they can change their charism to something else. Make room for men to teach. Don't give in to feminism or the effeminizing of the Church.
(02-04-2012, 04:22 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(02-04-2012, 04:19 PM)TrentCath Wrote: Though there are some orders for women whose charism is teaching.

Then they can build more all-girls schools. Otherwise, they can get back to the cloister. Or they can change their charism to something else. Make room for men to teach. Don't give in to feminism or the effeminizing of the Church.

Are you saying that only men should teach boys and vice versa?
(02-04-2012, 04:17 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Indeed.

Come on HK. You know very well that is not the situation. If there are no men involved in a Church it is because they chose to be. 

Keep in mind that a mother's role is partly defined by teaching. Female teachers are by no means inferior to males. I have no issue with male teachers, but you are insulting one to raise the other. Your issue should be that there are no real Catholic men, or real men becoming priests, not that women have stepped up to the job.

This is the same as lambasting single mothers for being the only parent, while it was the father who left.
(02-04-2012, 05:24 PM)TrentCath Wrote: Are you saying that only men should teach boys and vice versa?

Ideally, yes. (Unless the female teachers are hot.) Though men should teach co-ed classes, and any religion class.

Male teachers usually command more respect from schoolboys. Especially when they're in high school. I remember when I was a high schooler, my friends and I were far more likely to shut up in class when a strong man was in charge. Classes taught by women tended to be far more rambunctious.
(02-04-2012, 05:45 PM)verenaerin Wrote: Come on HK. You know very well that is not the situation. If there are no men involved in a Church it is because they chose to be. 

I'm repeating an argument commonly seen on this forum in defense of nuns and other women in teaching and church administration. The argument goes that they're better for the Church because nuns are free, and non-religious laywomen don't cost as much because they're not trying to support whole families on their income alone. It's also a common defense of mandatory clerical celibacy; you know, that unmarried priests are better because they don't have to support families.

Quote:Keep in mind that a mother's role is partly defined by teaching. Female teachers are by no means inferior to males. I have no issue with male teachers, but you are insulting one to raise the other. Your issue should be that there are no real Catholic men, or real men becoming priests, not that women have stepped up to the job.

This is the same as lambasting single mothers for being the only parent, while it was the father who left.

I've lambasted the unwillingness of men to step up to the plate on other threads. An immediate example would be how at my local TLM, we have a very advanced Gregorian schola program, but the average number of men who sing per Sunday Mass is only 3, out of a congregation of more than a hundred men, I estimate. It is very challenging to practice and chant the set of Propers in their full Gregorian melodies every Mass with only 3 guys. Also, for some reason we only have 2 altar servers even at sung Mass. The unwillingness of men to step up is truly ridiculous and even cowardly. I agree.

As for myself, I'm pretty lousy with personal piety. I wouldn't make a good priest or religious brother, and I have over a decade before I'm eligible to pursue the diaconate. But I always try to make myself available for chanting or serving the altar at the drop of a pin if asked. Why? Because it's good for a man to do something that needs to be done.