Is there confirmation by desire?
I've wanted to be confirmed for awhile now but in the past I was scandalized by the callous, indifferent attitude towards this by my sponsor and the churches around me. For this reason, I didn't do it. It now occurs to me that most of these churches aren't churches here in America. I tried again near my hometown hoping for better luck, but there was no follow up from the church and once again, complete indifference.

So does my desire to be confirmed count? I've been thinking about this for awhile.
Since confirmation is not necessary for salvation, and only sinful if culpably neglected, I don't think so.
No, it doesn't suffice. What churches are you attending in which they don't want to get you confirmed? And get a new sponsor. I had to work a bit to be confirmed by Bishop Tissier, but it happened. I had to talk to them directly instead of going through my priest. How does your congregation get confirmed?
Try going directly to the bishop
I don't know why we can't extend the principle of baptism of desire to other sacraments. It could be a theological development.

Confirmation of Desire would be a non-sacramental reception of the effects of the sacrament without being another sacrament per se.
Quote:I've wanted to be confirmed for awhile now but in the past I was scandalized by the callous, indifferent attitude towards this by my sponsor and the churches around me. For this reason, I didn't do it.

I never heard of confirmation by desire.
I don't understand though what exactly you are saying and it sounds almost as if you have conditions that you want met before you will get confirmed?
What are those conditions?
And if those conditions will never be met by the path-to-confirmation you are choosing now, perhaps
it might be a solution to see a different path-to-confirmation?
(02-05-2012, 05:33 AM)mistman Wrote: I've wanted to be confirmed for awhile now but in the past I was scandalized by the callous, indifferent attitude towards this by my sponsor and the churches around me. For this reason, I didn't do it. It now occurs to me that most of these churches aren't churches here in America. I tried again near my hometown hoping for better luck, but there was no follow up from the church and once again, complete indifference.

So does my desire to be confirmed count? I've been thinking about this for awhile.

It sounds like your so-called "desire" for Confirmation is not that strong, if you let anything get in your way.  Man up, already.
(02-05-2012, 05:33 AM)mistman Wrote: I've wanted to be confirmed for awhile now but in the past I was scandalized by the callous, indifferent attitude towards this by my sponsor and the churches around me. For this reason, I didn't do it. It now occurs to me that most of these churches aren't churches here in America. I tried again near my hometown hoping for better luck, but there was no follow up from the church and once again, complete indifference.
The sacrament is the sacrament and there is no difference to it based on the circumstances.

Quote:So does my desire to be confirmed count? I've been thinking about this for awhile.
In the same way my desire for money can pay my bills.
(02-05-2012, 01:08 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: I don't know why we can't extend the principle of baptism of desire to other sacraments. It could be a theological development.

Confirmation of Desire would be a non-sacramental reception of the effects of the sacrament without being another sacrament per se.

Since Confirmation is not necessary for salvation, the applicability of the principle (which concerns a "relative necessity of means") wouldn't apply. This would be the same with Matrimony, Holy Orders, etc.
(02-05-2012, 11:13 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(02-05-2012, 01:08 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: I don't know why we can't extend the principle of baptism of desire to other sacraments. It could be a theological development.

Since Confirmation is not necessary for salvation, the applicability of the principle (which concerns a "relative necessity of means") wouldn't apply. This would be the same with Matrimony, Holy Orders, etc.

I understand. But that is just the present status quo.

If we have safely established that the sacrament absolutely necessary for salvation (baptism) can be received in a non-sacramental manner, then it doesn't take too much to imagine how other sacraments that, although not strictly necessary for salvation, confer grace and help the sanctification of the believer might be received by desire as well.

In fact, it is well known that one can make a spiritual communion which is, conceptually speaking, already very similar to an "Eucharist of desire," isn't it?