Souls in heaven rejoicing at the sight of the damned?
They do not "laugh" at it, but they understand the beauty of it as a perfect expression of God's infinite justice. We can't understand this now because we lack the Beatific Vision, but once we are united with It, we will see with the eyes of God, as it were, and we will behold the essence of the Divine Intellect with all Its beauty and splendor. Only then will we appreciate the value of justice, we will rejoice in His goodness, and we will thank Him that He has chosen to show us mercy irrespective of our own personal merits. Ad majorem Dei gloriam!
I think part of the problem is the wording.  "Rejoicing at the sight of the damned" and "Rejoicing over God's justice" can be construed as the same thing, but the latter is a better description.  We are not rejoicing because people are suffering for eternity (their suffering is not the cause of our rejoicing) but we are rejoicing in God's justice, and God is the cause of our rejoicing.  In Heaven our souls are completely uniformed to God's will and we would bask and revel in His glory, and part of His glory is His justice, which is no better manifested than by the souls of Hell.  But God is the cause of that rejoicing, the souls in Hell are not per se.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(02-06-2012, 02:34 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: I think part of the problem is the wording.  "Rejoicing at the sight of the damned" and "Rejoicing over God's justice" can be construed as the same thing, but the latter is a better description.  We are not rejoicing because people are suffering for eternity (their suffering is not the cause of our rejoicing) but we are rejoicing in God's justice, and God is the cause of our rejoicing.  In Heaven our souls are completely uniformed to God's will and we would bask and revel in His glory, and part of His glory is His justice, which is no better manifested than by the souls of Hell.  But God is the cause of that rejoicing, the souls in Hell are not per se.

Exactly.

I appreciate how much your theological inputs have matured over the past year.
Kind of you to say, Vetus.  Thanks. 

Go thy ways, old Jack;
(02-06-2012, 02:36 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(02-06-2012, 02:34 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: I think part of the problem is the wording.  "Rejoicing at the sight of the damned" and "Rejoicing over God's justice" can be construed as the same thing, but the latter is a better description.  We are not rejoicing because people are suffering for eternity (their suffering is not the cause of our rejoicing) but we are rejoicing in God's justice, and God is the cause of our rejoicing.  In Heaven our souls are completely uniformed to God's will and we would bask and revel in His glory, and part of His glory is His justice, which is no better manifested than by the souls of Hell.  But God is the cause of that rejoicing, the souls in Hell are not per se.

Exactly.

Yes, me, too. Very well said, Mithrandylan.

(Now go scourge yourself to keep yourself humble!  Mr. Winky )
(02-06-2012, 02:56 AM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(02-06-2012, 02:36 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

Exactly.

Yes, me, too. Very well said, Mithrandylan.

(Now go scourge yourself to keep yourself humble!  Mr. Winky )

Lol, I almost had to there for a sec.  Thank you both.  The credit shouldn't be mine, of course.

Go thy ways, old Jack;
If those in Heaven are shown by God those who are in Hell, then it would only be for their happiness, no sadness in Heaven!
(02-06-2012, 03:17 AM)pbmsemwa Wrote: If those in Heaven are shown by God those who are in Hell, then it would only be for their happiness, no sadness in Heaven!

It's a good point you make here!
Something I just thought of: many of the Fathers describe the pains of hell as a result of God's love. Both the blessed and the damned experience this love, but it turns out to be painful for the damned because they have rejected it. Still, the fact that they hav any experience of God's love at all would seem to indicate that God does still love them in some sense. This isn't to say that the blessed would spend all of their time crying over the condition of the damned or that they would be unable to recognize the justice of their condition, and we should also keep divine impassibility in mind, but perhaps God does still love the damned, despite the fact that they hav rejected Him for all eternity.

BUT.. and here I go repeating myself  again…. that is what I was saying too. I agree with everything you say. Part of the problem is the wording, but I objected also to the "reality" of God and the saints “laughing at the damned” and “rejoicing at every torture” as the priest in the video described. We don't delight in the existence of hell, even though hell is an act of God's justice.. We would rather there be no hell at all in the sense that Adam and Eve never sinned to begin with, or in the sense that everyone came to salvation. Maybe this is too hard for us (me) to take in. When you take the Bible as a whole – and especially when Jesus intervenes in human history – you get a complete picture. Our Lord had harsh words for the Pharisees and warnings for the unrepentant. I never got the impression, however, that Jesus took glee in the punishment of lost souls, though their punishments are just. What I object to, really, is the preaching method of this priest and his literal interpretation of scripture. Yes, it's a good old fashioned hellfire and brimstone, and maybe we need more of that these days, but not to the distraction of the rest of scripture. I could read Jonathan Edwards' "Sinners in the hands of an angry God"and come away with the same reaction. Different stroke for different folks, I guess.
Shrug