The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas
This thread was about the possible jealousy of the works of St. Thomas Aquinas.

Now, in terms of actually living the faith, it does not matter. The Eastern and Western Churches have the same foundation and the same end.

And explicit wordy confirmation of one's particular understanding of a Church teaching is not necessary nor should it be demanded from others.
(02-09-2012, 05:12 PM)su Wrote: This thread was about the possible jealousy of the works of St. Thomas Aquinas.

Now, in terms of actually living the faith, it does not matter. The Eastern and Western Churches have the same foundation and the same end.

And explicit wordy confirmation of one's particular understanding of a Church teaching is not necessary nor should it be demanded from others.

I will advance the notion that Easterners are suspicious or leery of St. Thomas not from jealousy, but from having bad experiences with jerks mangling Scholastic thought.  If that was my exposure to St. Thomas, I too wouldn't want anything to do with him or Scholastic thought.
(02-09-2012, 05:20 PM)Parmandur Wrote: I will advance the notion that Easterners are suspicious or leery of St. Thomas not from jealousy, but from having bad experiences with jerks mangling Scholastic thought.  If that was my exposure to St. Thomas, I too wouldn't want anything to do with him or Scholastic thought.

Possibly, but I was looking at the "root cause", and not any particular individual.

I think the "higher ups" are jealous of St. Thomas and did not want to understand him properly then. Someone on this thread wrote about a particular saint with association with the East, and it was then countered by him being born in a particular area and writing in Latin, etc. That is the kind of attention to "team" to which I am referring. It matters it was written in Latin, because it is not "theirs".
(02-09-2012, 04:54 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(02-09-2012, 06:07 AM)TrentCath Wrote: Let us be clear, in order for me to have committed sin, you would have to show that my statement was unreasonable and therefore rash. You cannot do that because my saying that melkite had professed a heresy was entirely reasonable given both his wording and hid demonstrated attitude of contempt for so called Latin theology and St Thomas.

Your continued insistence on an apology is therefore nothing but stubbornness, I suggest rather than spending your time falsely accusing others of sin you read some moral theology.

It was not reasonable, in that Melkite was not saying what you thought he said, and even if he was there was no call to be a fucking asshole about it.

I won't insist on an apology.  You have made your stubborn insistence on being uncharitable and rude more than clear.

Oh please  :eyeroll: get over yourself
(02-09-2012, 04:56 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(02-09-2012, 04:23 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(02-09-2012, 10:34 AM)JayneK Wrote:
(02-09-2012, 06:07 AM)TrentCath Wrote: Let us be clear, in order for me to have committed sin, you would have to show that my statement was unreasonable and therefore rash. You cannot do that because my saying that melkite had professed a heresy was entirely reasonable given both his wording and hid demonstrated attitude of contempt for so called Latin theology and St Thomas.

Your continued insistence on an apology is therefore nothing but stubbornness, I suggest rather than spending your time falsely accusing others of sin you read some moral theology.

Even if a misunderstanding is reasonable, one can still apologize for it and any hurt or offense it may have caused.  It would probably be of spiritual benefit to you to apologize.

You seem to have a tendency to rely on intellect and knowledge. That is what I am like too.  In my case, this tendency leaves me in great need of  developing kindness and humility. I find that is useful for me to apologize in situations such as the one you are in now.  There is so much more to our Faith than being right in debates.  When I have forgotten that I have been very harsh and arrogant.  I encourage you to think and pray about this.  You don't want to end up like me, do you?  :)

If people wish to make a mountain out of a molehill they may do so, if they think that I am going to waste my time on being involved however they are sadly mistaken.

Making a mountain out of a molehill?!?!? Physician, heal thyself.  :LOL:

Pray tell me what is more unreasonable stating someone said something heretical when all the facts suggested it or going on 4 pages and then swearing because someone won't do what you think they should?
(02-09-2012, 06:21 PM)TrentCath Wrote:

It was not reasonable, in that Melkite was not saying what you thought he said, and even if he was there was no call to be a fucking asshole about it.

I won't insist on an apology.  You have made your stubborn insistence on being uncharitable and rude more than clear.

Again: physician, heal thyself.  :LOL:
(02-09-2012, 06:23 PM)Parmandur Wrote:

:eyeroll:
(02-09-2012, 06:22 PM)TrentCath Wrote: Pray tell me what is more unreasonable stating someone said something heretical when all the facts suggested it or going on 4 pages and then swearing because someone won't do what you think they should?

There was no such suggestion from facts.  You went off half-cocked and called another Catholic a heretic without cause.  That's fucking bullshit.  And if you don't like the technical descriptive language, I'm sorry for having offended your delicate sensibilities.  Strain away at that gnat, boy.  :P
(02-09-2012, 06:25 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(02-09-2012, 06:23 PM)Parmandur Wrote:

So you can take calling other people names without cause, but don't like being called on your crap?  :eyeroll: :LOL:
(02-09-2012, 06:25 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(02-09-2012, 06:22 PM)TrentCath Wrote: Pray tell me what is more unreasonable stating someone said something heretical when all the facts suggested it or going on 4 pages and then swearing because someone won't do what you think they should?

There was no such suggestion from facts.  You went off half-cocked and called another Catholic a heretic without cause.  That's fucking bullshit.  And if you don't like the technical descriptive language, I'm sorry for having offended your delicate sensibilities.  Strain away at that gnat, boy.  :P

As for offended, no you'd have to do a lot more than that I'm afraid, I just find the hypocrisy bemusing