The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas
(02-06-2012, 12:58 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: In all the studies I've done on Eastern Orthodoxy I have never seen anything but mockery and disdain for St. Thomas Aquinas. I'm not saying every Orthodox or Eastern Catholic individually disdains him and his theology but I have never seen any kind words about him. St. Augustine usually gets the same derision but some like the late Father Seraphim Rose actually had some nice things to say about him (Augustine).
(02-06-2012, 01:04 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The contempt for Thomas and Augustine in the East is really disheartening, especially among those who profess to be Catholics.

The constant vitriol belies that close-minded attitude that's unfortunately so idiosyncratic of churches who build their own identities upon national rivalries, anti-Roman sentiments and a superstitious attachment to mutable ecclesiastical traditions.

Yes, and I find this attitude particularly strange in light of the fact that Roman Catholics don't treat Eastern theologians this way. They have different ways of approaching and respecting the same subject, so their should be mutual respect amongst them. I don't see hatred for St. John Chrysostom just because of his methodology. The approach of the East makes far less sense to a Latin Catholic than the approach of the West does to an Eastern Catholic, yet it is the Latin theologians who are contemptuously reviled. To me, the bitter hatred is absolutely unreasonable.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas - by INPEFESS - 02-06-2012, 01:20 AM