The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas
(02-06-2012, 02:05 AM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(02-06-2012, 02:00 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(02-06-2012, 01:50 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: I've never seen anyone here revile and sneer at the Eastern Doctors of the Church. That would be unthinkable, especially for people who consider themselves traditional Catholics.

I not sure everyone on FE is aware that the Eastern Doctors belonged to a church of a different rite.

None of the Fathers of the Church belonged to any of the rites of the Church as they were knwon in the mid-20th century. St. Augustine's Mass was very different from the Tridentine Mass, and St. John Chrysostom celebrated a liturgy was very different from the one medieval Byzantines ascribed to him. 

What I mean is, when Latin Catholics aren't really sure what Eastern Catholics are, or that we even exist, it's not surprising that they also think the Eastern doctors were all worshiping in a TLM.  The fact that there isn't as much explicit reviling from West to East isn't as significant as Vetus is making it out to be.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas - by Melkite - 02-06-2012, 02:11 AM