The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas
(02-06-2012, 02:00 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(02-06-2012, 01:50 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: I've never seen anyone here revile and sneer at the Eastern Doctors of the Church. That would be unthinkable, especially for people who consider themselves traditional Catholics.

I not sure everyone on FE is aware that the Eastern Doctors belonged to a church of a different rite.  A significant portion of that lack of sneer as you describe it may be due to ignorance.  All that aside, saying Aquinas is by far the most important theologian the Church has ever known, and making his theology that of the Church. to the exclusion of every other, IS reviling and sneering at the Eastern fathers, even if you're not being overtly rude about it.

Your condescension is absolutely pathetic: the lack of sneer towards the Eastern Doctors is not due to ignorance - as if knowledge should beget scorn - but simply to decorum and respect, something you should know more about. Even if many fishies happen to ignore St. Basil's or St. John Chrysostom's work, they don't feel entitled to mock other saints they disagree with or whose mystical approaches they don't relate to. I'm not the biggest fan of Franciscan spirituality myself, for instance, but the last thing it would occur to me would be to label it "bullshit." This is just common sense and basic decorum, I don't know why I even have to explain such a simple concept to you! And suggesting that many here might ignore that the Eastern Fathers were Eastern Catholics is just plainly silly.

But I digress. Why on earth would anyone worthy of the name "Catholic" sneer at a Doctor of the Church? Think about that. Even if one personally disagrees with some of his conclusions, that's completely uncalled for. Can't you understand how arrogant, childish and unchristian that is? And yet, this seems to be standard modus operandi against Western Doctors for many of those calling themselves Eastern Catholics.

Finally, as for St. Thomas, please realise this once and for all: the Church herself has put him on that pedestal, not any of us here. We didn't invent anything. You seem to ignore this reality at every post you write. No-one is excluding the other Doctors of the Church, nor any other legitimate approaches to theology, but the Church herself has adopted Thomism as her own preferred theological language. Think about that as the son of the Church that you should be. It's as simple as that.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas - by Vetus Ordo - 02-06-2012, 02:32 AM