The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas
(02-06-2012, 11:05 AM)Melkite Wrote: So, yes, it may be our fault that we don't spend money we don't have, but if it weren't for anti-Eastern bias a hundred years ago, a few million people in this country who are Orthodox would have still been Catholic, so you might have had more works to look at.

I also don't remember you ever starting a thread about that.  Unless you are Rosarium?
I do not mean recent works.

Is there an Eastern work comparable to the Summa Theologica? Is there an Eastern work comparable to the Imitation of Christ? Is there an Eastern work comparable to The City of God?

That is my point. I am not talking about recent publications (they exist actually), but a continuous history of good written works.

In worship, liturgy, and living the faith, the East has no deficiency. However, there is not much to be shared with those who are not a part of an Eastern church. That is the difference. Latins and Easterners live and worship pretty much the same. However, when it comes to study, there is a major difference. After the more ancient works (see: http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/index.html), there is little that is known from the East.

In fact, in my studies, aside from ancient writers, Vladimir Lossky, probably has the best writings and he was a Russian schismatic! Also, he focuses on Mystical Theology. This is very good, but it is not lacking in the West. The fact that the West has a highly developed tradition of theology as a whole, does not mean one aspect (the mystical aspect) is lacking.

I think you see St. Thomas as a scholar only, not as a mystic, which he was of the most rare kind.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas - by Historian - 02-06-2012, 11:27 AM