The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas
(02-06-2012, 03:13 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: When I see 21st century Catholics value their faith on the basis of geography and rite and talk about fellow Catholics of the roman rite as "Latins," almost as if it were a dirty word, I cannot help feeling that something huge is being lost on us all here. The use of such outdated polemical language and needless antagonism mirrors the use some Protestants do of 16th century inflamed accusations against "Romish superstition" as if history and the development of theology hadn't taught them anything. The Church is not western or eastern, neither roman or byzantine, but catholic, truly universal in time and space. "I believe in the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church." The Doctors of the Church aren't property of any rite but of the whole Church. Their work and their teachings are applicable to us ALL: I cannot conceive of St. John Chrysostom or St. Basil being just for the easterners as if they were part of a different church. They aren't. Rites are venerable and sundry but wholly dependent upon the faith which is one and irreformable.

That is what I do not get.

St. Thomas and other Latin writers and readers (including us) do not have any aversion to the writings from others. As long as we can read it, we are happy. Now, there may be a linguistic divide partially, but in general, once it was translated into Latin, it was accessible in the West and probably has further translations for us now.

That is what I noted as lacking in the East. All there is to study is either ancient or from the West. And the Easterners keep complaining about us, but they don't actually show that the Augustine, Thomas, and others are overshadowing anybody.

That is why I think they are jealous. We can constantly bring up Latin writers who developed great works in the study of what God has revealed to us.

I spent a significant amount of time studying Eastern terminology (in Greek) and how they conceptualized what was revealed to us. I bought some books and explored even schismatic theologians' writings. I wanted to know, but I really don't see what they think we are lacking. Yes, they express things a little differently and they use a slightly different base vocabulary, but other than that, there isn't much to study in terms of teachings.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas - by Historian - 02-06-2012, 03:41 PM