The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas
(02-06-2012, 10:16 PM)Gerard Wrote: Not to be provocative but is that inflexibility and dependence on a particular ancient liturgy a sign of a weakness of faith rather than a deficiency of Liturgy?   (I would of course dispute the description of the TLM as dry and feminine. )
I can understand missing your "home" liturgy but I can also see how "family is family" and if you wind up living with your cousins or grandparents, that becomes "home" just as much as the original place.  

I don't know that I'd call it a weakness in faith, but more that one's faith responds differently to things than the faith of another.  The tridentine liturgy isn't deficient as a liturgy, but it doesn't strengthen me as much as a byzantine liturgy. 

I understand TLM go-ers often refer to the TLM as masculine.  My referring to it as feminine wasn't a jab, just how it seems to me in comparison to byzantine liturgy.  And a lot of that is based on externals.  In the TLM, the priests where lacey vestments, they have clean-shaven, "soft" faces.  Gregorian chant is sung at a higher pitch than Byzantine chant.  Much of the mass is performed silently, rather than the very loud, lots-of-stuff-going-on-yness of the Byzantine liturgies.  The people at mass as attending somewhat passively, merely listening to what is going on and praying silently, not taking part in the liturgy (I know they actually are, but not in the exuberant, active manner common in the Byzantine rite).

As far as being home, that's why I said it may be different once I got to know people.  It could become home in that I could get to know and love people there, but the liturgy itself would probably always remain foreign to me in some sense.  I think for me personally, it would never feel like more than a home away from home - it would never be my patria.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas - by Melkite - 02-06-2012, 10:38 PM