The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas
(02-07-2012, 11:00 AM)Melkite Wrote: [quote='Melkite' pid='970778' dateline='1328626825']
There is a difference between he can only interfere and he should only interfere.  The fact that he has authority does not mean it is always prudent that he exercise it.

This has nothing to do with what I said, I stated
Quote: is not reconcilable with 'its a primacy of honour only' or 'he can only interfere when the bishops ask him to' or 'he can only interfere when the bishop is grossly incompetent or a heretic'

Now the latter theological errors have been posited by individual eastern catholics and even adopted as the 'official position' by some

(02-07-2012, 11:00 AM)Melkite Wrote: well, they're not really ecumenical if they don't pertain to everybody, do they?  A general council can still be binding on the whole Church without actually being ecumenical.
Yes they are ecumenical, discussion over. I have heard this nonsense before, the councils do pertain to everyone, if Eastern Catholics want to ignore this or pretend they dont that stems from their ignorance and laziness when it comes to actually checking the doctrines of the Church. The Councils are infallible and ecumenical or general (the terms are for all intents and purposes interchangeable). The only reason people say otherwise is because they:

a)say they cant be infallible as the orthodox weren't invited, but the idea that heretics or schismatics need to attend a council for it to be ecumenical is self-evidently absurd, or
b)they claim that it 'doesn't affect them', this claim is patently false and worse ignorant. The Councils affect [b]everyone
of whatever rite or 'church' as they more faithfully expound the truths which must be held for all the faithful and censures certain errors which cannot be held for all the faithful. That this view stems from ignorance and denial of reality is even more clear when one considers that the Councils of Lyons and Florence explicitly mentioned the greeks and the latter reunited the greeks, or would have if their pride hadn't caused them to leave...again

(02-07-2012, 11:00 AM)Melkite Wrote: apparently, you are either incapable of understanding what I said or refuse to correwt yourself.  For the fifth time, I never said original sin is death.  The curse of Adam is death.  The curse of Adam and Original sin (are you paying attention?) ARE NOT the same thing.

Last time I checked you didn't constitute all eastern catholics in the world  :LOL: and I've seen this view expressed by them

Quote:I don't know of any Eastern Catholics who believe the former.  Silouan has stated that may be the case, but he is Orthodox, not Catholic.  The Orthodox have canonized saints as well, so that would seem to indicate they believe the just are already in heaven.

And yet eastern catholics say they hold the same faith as the orthodox? Hmmmm  ???

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas - by TrentCath - 02-07-2012, 03:34 PM