The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas
(02-07-2012, 04:59 PM)Parmandur Wrote: I find five references to Purgatory in Ott, only two of which are De Fide:

257. The living Faithful can come to the assistance of the Souls in Purgatory by their intercessions (suffrages). (De fide.)
258. The Saints in Heaven also can come to the help of the Souls in Purgatory by their intercession. (Sent. communis.)
259. The Souls in Purgatory can intercede for other members of the Mystical Body. (Sent. probabilis.)
260. Suffrages are of no profit to the damned in Hell as they do not belong to the Mystical Body of Christ. (Sent. communis.)

409. The souls of the just which, in the moment of death, are burdened with venial sins or temporal punishment due to sins, enter Purgatory. (De fide.)
410. The purifying fire will not continue after the General Judgment. (Sent. communis.)

Both De Fide (257 & 409) statements I have heard assented to explicitly and in public by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, the top Orthodox prelate in Great Britain.  I don't know if that statement from Florence necessarily means what you think it means, insofar as it hasn't been made much of an issue by theologians.

The meaning of the text is quite clear, pain of some sort is involved nothing more and nothing less.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas - by TrentCath - 02-07-2012, 07:51 PM