The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas
(02-07-2012, 08:15 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(02-07-2012, 07:49 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(02-07-2012, 05:31 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(02-07-2012, 03:23 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(02-07-2012, 01:42 PM)Melkite Wrote: Trent, what heresy did I profess?  Private revelation CAN NOT BE binding.  No doctrine can be based on it fundamentally.  If you're taking info that only came from private revelation and declaring it de fide, you're the heretic, not me.  In adding to the faith, you have cut yourself off from it.

Except that doctrine of pains in purgatory is defined by a Council, namely the Council of Florence 'Also, the body of Christ is truly confected in both unleavened and leavened wheat bread, and priests should confect the body of Christ in either, that is, each priest according to the custom of his western or eastern church. Also, if truly penitent people die in the love of God before they have made satisfaction for acts and omissions by worthy fruits of repentance, their souls are cleansed after death by cleansing pains; and the suffrages of the living faithful avail them in giving relief from such pains, that is, sacrifices of masses, prayers, almsgiving and other acts of devotion which have been customarily performed by some of the faithful for others of the faithful in accordance with the church's ordinances.

You need not believe them to be literal fire (though such is the common teaching) but that there is pain of some form is De Fide

So, the pain in purgatory could merely be strife at knowing you're going to heaven but aren't there yet?  I personally believe there is no physical pain, but it makes sense that there would be a longing for heaven.  I don't see anything problematic with a non-physical pain.

That is possible, of course pain is not physical in as much as they have no bodies, but the common teaching is that fire of some sort is involved, regardless one is merely required to believe in 'cleansing pains' nothing more or less.

That common teaching about there being flames involved is from private revelation and devotionals, though, Melkite is right about that.  The writings of St. Catherine of Genoa are very good, but they are not de fide.

It isn't so clear what is meant by pain, considering that we are speaking of disembodied spirits, and the common teaching is that the resurrection ends the middle state definitively.  So we strictly speaking aren't talking about pain, but some spiritual analog, a longing to be out of the purgative state and in heaven.

It is the common teaching of the theologians, that is all that is relevant.

It may not be physical pain but it is pain of some sort, it is suffering hence the term 'The Church suffering'.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas - by TrentCath - 02-07-2012, 08:40 PM