The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas
(02-09-2012, 07:31 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: "Proto-Calvinist"?

That's absurd.

Many Calvinists I know actually like St. Thomas and cite him as a predecessor of Calvin, so it is not as ridiculous as you might think, though it is false.  Calvin had a very scholastic mindset, just look at the Institutes of the Christian religion.  During the Reformation, Calvinism made a big putsch into the East, and had to be repelled by the Eastern Churches with vigor.  From what I have read, most of the time when an Easterner says "Augustine of Hippo said X", they mean "John Calvin said X" whether they realize it or not.  I think the formative encounter with Calvinism really is part of what makes Easterners suspicious of Scholastic method, along with the Nominalist Barlaam who was passing off an Ockhamite scheme as Thomism.  This negative history does have to be taken into account when dealing with the East.  Scholasticism is foreign to them, and Calvin and Aquinas do look somewhat alike if you are not familiar with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas - by Parmandur - 02-09-2012, 07:38 PM