The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas
(02-11-2012, 03:26 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(02-11-2012, 03:08 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(02-11-2012, 02:22 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: It makes sense to me.  Obviously the papal system of direct appointment of bishops has led to horrific appointments in many places.  Especially for the East, but in general everywhere, I'd be fine with the bishops being chosen locally, provided the right of the pope to directly intervene when the bishop is seriously problematic is preserved.  By problematic I suppose I mean heretic, or morally reprobate.

Exactly, and that's why the Pope needs to have that authority.  Synodal agreements are all well and good, but as history shows with previous heresies, occasionally a synod will be at an impasse, and in that sitaution, an executive decision is required.

Or the Holy Father may just refuse to approve the decision and choose his own candiate, and it is not for me or you for that matter to say that they will automatically be imprudent, indeed it may often be the right thing to do.

It's not that the Holy Father's decision would be automatically imprudent.

It's just imprudent (IMHO) to continue the system whereby the Holy Father directly appoints every diocesan bishop.  It's even more imprudent for HH to do this with Eastern Churches ... especially if we want reunion.  An orthodox church should never have to think that, barring cases of heretics or other really bad candidates, they would have to submit to such papal control in order to come back to the Catholic Church.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas - by newyorkcatholic - 02-11-2012, 03:31 PM