Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(02-08-2012, 02:13 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote: I have a book - "The Spiritual Excercises" by Saint Ignatius of Loyola, that was translated by an English Jesuit.
There are many different translations, I just happened to pick this one up 2 years ago, thinking they were all the same.
In the preface, the translator says this regarding Hell.
"Though Ignatius believed in a densely populated Hell, we must say that it has never been a fate realized by any one person."
:eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:
that doesnt even make sense?
I think it was the translator's way of saying, "now in this book, there may be some talk of this place called Hell, we know this, but don't worry, it's not  real place - we know of nobody who has actually experienced Hell."
(02-08-2012, 02:23 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote: I think it was the translator's way of saying, "now in this book, there may be some talk of this place called Hell, we know this, but don't worry, it's not  real place - we know of nobody who has actually experienced Hell."

I'd have a barbecue tonight with that book.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(02-08-2012, 02:23 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote: I think it was the translator's way of saying, "now in this book, there may be some talk of this place called Hell, we know this, but don't worry, it's not  real place - we know of nobody who has actually experienced Hell."

Maybe, but it's awkward.  It's possible the translator meant, "we don't really know if Hell is densely populated" but was not denying that it exists or even that there are souls there.
(02-08-2012, 02:57 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:

Maybe, but it's awkward.  It's possible the translator meant, "we don't really know if Hell is densely populated" but was not denying that it exists or even that there are souls there.
The English Jesuit translator was apologizing in advance, for Ignatius believing in a "densely populated Hell."
Heh, post a thread titled Hell on CA.

You will be viciously attacked, having your intentions questioned. You will hear lectures on God's infinite Mercy. You will hear the topic called a "scare tactic". Some will thank you for the reminder, but they won't say much. Most ink will be provided by the lukewarm fruits of VII.

(02-08-2012, 02:27 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:

might poison the food
(02-08-2012, 04:31 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:
(02-08-2012, 02:27 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:

might poison the food

my thoughts exactly.  Don't invite that libro over unless y'all are going to have a serious discussion about eternity  :LOL: