Wisdom Tooth Troubles
I have all four of my wisdom teeth, the one's on top are out, and the two on the bottom still have gums over them. They were really bothering me 3-4 years ago, but the pain went away. However, my lower left tooth has recently started to be sore. Also, it seems to have a bad taste and smell, and when I touch it with my finger, I can smell the odor. Does anyone have any idea what I could be, and any recommendations (besides seeing a dentist.)
Going yo the dentist is the best thing you should do, though you said except going to the dentist.
(02-08-2012, 12:33 AM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: I have all four of my wisdom teeth, the one's on top are out, and the two on the bottom still have gums over them. They were really bothering me 3-4 years ago, but the pain went away. However, my lower left tooth has recently started to be sore. Also, it seems to have a bad taste and smell, and when I touch it with my finger, I can smell the odor. Does anyone have any idea what I could be, and any recommendations (besides seeing a dentist.)

Sounds like it is infected and the bade taste and odor are likely caused by a purulent discharge resulting from the infection.  Perhaps it is an impacted wisdom tooth.

My FIRST AND BEST recommendation is GO TO A DENTIST!  This can be a serious matter.  If it is an infection a typical pre extraction therapy would probable be a course of antibiotics, to clear up the infection, and that would involve going to a physician or dentist for a prescription.

Short term temporary remedies not involving a health care professional might include:
1.  Aspirn or acetaminophen (Tylenol is a brand of acetaminophen), which should reduce tenderness caused by inflamation and aleviate pain;
2. Rinse the mouth regularly with warm salt water or a good mouth wash.  Warm salt water rinses are a standard post oral surgery recommendation.  Rinses with salt water (I don't remember how much salt to add, up to the point that it stays in solution, so probable a teaspoon or two in a standard water glass) or a mouth wash with alcohol help clean the area and create an unfavorable environment for bacteria that cause the infection.  This will also help with the bad odor and taste.
3. A cold pack applied to the outside face of the affected area can also provide some relief for the discomfort, but won't address the cause.

Though asked not to I'll conclude with my first and best recommendation  :grin:  GO SEE A DENTIST.  If he or she confirms my suspicion that the tooth is infected they will likely prescribe a course of antibiotics to clear up the infection, then recommend extraction.  From personal experience I would recommend having the other three removed at the same time, then you will never have to worry about them again.  I've lived without all four of my wisdom teeth for 30 years now and I have never missed having them.  My oral surgeon offered the option (recommended even) that I be "knocked out" during the surgery, an option that I took advantage of and I would highly recommend it.  I never felt a thing an my mouth wasn't really that sore afterwards.

If the issue is fear of dentists (we all, mostly, have our phobias, this just happens to not be one of mine) pray for fortitude; you'll be happy you got it taken care of when it is done.

If the issue is a lack of dental insurance, or otherwise a financial issue, pray about this also.  There may be options.

In any event I'll  :pray: for you.
Thank you for the advice and especially the prayer; I truly appreciate it.
(02-08-2012, 12:33 AM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: I have all four of my wisdom teeth, the one's on top are out, and the two on the bottom still have gums over them. They were really bothering me 3-4 years ago, but the pain went away. However, my lower left tooth has recently started to be sore. Also, it seems to have a bad taste and smell, and when I touch it with my finger, I can smell the odor. Does anyone have any idea what I could be, and any recommendations (besides seeing a dentist.)

It sounds like a textbook case of pericoronitis.

The gum over the tooth is called an operculum. When things (including bacteria) become trapped under it, it can lead to the aforementioned condition. It needs to be treated otherwise it will get worse.
Same story here - the top two came out fine, but the bottom two started to get impacted with that latent ache that you described.  I just ended up getting them out under local.  Yes, it sucked.  But it made for a few days' worth of decent penance.

You may need antibiotics.  Get thee to a dentist.
I'm going to see the dentist (a Catholic one) tomorrow.
(02-08-2012, 09:42 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: I'm going to see the dentist (a Catholic one) tomorrow.

I'd give my eyeteeth to find a Catholic dentist although I suppose I could find one by word of mouth.

I'm glad you didn't brush aside the advice to see a professional. 

Anyhoo, I hope your dental visit doesn't have a bad impact on you.  :tiphat:
Thanks, Dr. B. If you were a doctor of dentistry, I would certainly make you put your doctorate to good use.  :pipe:  :cheers:
(02-08-2012, 10:24 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Thanks, Dr. B. If you were a doctor of dentistry, I would certainly make you put your doctorate to good use.  :pipe:  :cheers:

I've thought about getting a doctorate in theology.  Not because I have any love for theology, far from it.  But so I could tell everyone I have an S.T.D.  It would almost be worth the daily grind and torture of grad school just for the entertainment value. 

Umm....no, it wouldn't.  :sneaky: