One Weird-Looking Church
(02-09-2012, 02:17 PM)Landelinus Wrote: Sagrada Familia was designed by Antoni Gaudi, a devout Catholic who lived a celibate life and whose cause is up for beatification.  HK is right that his style is in continuity with earlier Spanish church architecture.  See here for some excellent examples: http://sthughofcluny.org/2009/10/the-rer...-spain.htm
Here are some examples from the link, showing the kind of detailed work that Gaudi is referencing:

[Image: IMG_9374.jpg] [Image: IMG_9397.jpg]
Looks like it'd be hell to keep it all dusted...
(02-09-2012, 02:34 PM)knittycat Wrote: Looks like it'd be hell to keep it all dusted...
It's probably what they used to make penitents do.  :)
It strikes me as a parody of Gothic architecture.
I have seen better looking Catholic church buildings in Los Angeles.
(02-09-2012, 02:50 PM)Old Salt Wrote: It strikes me as a parody of Gothic architecture.
I have seen better looking Catholic church buildings in Los Angeles.
I agree that it does strike one a bit like a gothic parody at first glance. But for Gaudi it would definitely not have been a parody, but rather his attempt to present an organic modern development of the exalted gothic style filtered through the lens of his whimsical and sometimes cartoonish style.  I don't think it is entirely successful, but I do find it interesting and definitely more Catholic than L.A.'s post-modern concrete bomb shelter-cum-cathedral.
It is much more Catholic looking than the "Taj Mahony".
I was not referring to that debacle.
(02-09-2012, 03:16 PM)Old Salt Wrote: It is much more Catholic looking than the "Taj Mahony".
Taj Mahony.  That's a good one.  I wish they'd kept old St Vibiana's.
Once completed, the Sagrada Familia will be a gigantic monument to the Catholic faith in an otherwise very secular city.

Let that day come.
(02-09-2012, 03:28 PM)Landelinus Wrote:
(02-09-2012, 03:16 PM)Old Salt Wrote: It is much more Catholic looking than the "Taj Mahony".
Ahh the great St Vibianas.
(02-09-2012, 04:01 PM)Old Salt Wrote:
(02-09-2012, 03:28 PM)Landelinus Wrote:
Ahh the great St Vibianas.
Which is sadly now some sort of disco or music venue.  Sad, sad.