One Weird-Looking Church
(02-09-2012, 06:08 PM)Graham Wrote: The one thing that bothers me is how the pillars look like tendons from inside a body. Otherwise it's stunning.

They are meant to resemble trees, as far as I remember.

The basilica is full of symbolism, by the way. See http://www.sagradafamilia.cat/sf-eng/doc...ologia.php if you are interested (and click on the "Structural", "Decorative" and "Perspective" links in the sidebar for more information.
(02-09-2012, 04:21 PM)Old Salt Wrote: Much prettier than Gaudis "candleabra':
[Image: vibiana1885.jpeg]

I prefer this over the modernist churches. And the Sagrada Familia.
On the topic of creepy looking churches, this is the creepiest looking church I've ever seen a picture of:

[Image: awesome-decorations.jpg]

Yep, real bones.  It's called the Sedlec Ossuary or "Bone Chapel" in Sedlec, near Kutna Hora, Czech Republic.
I've been in a couple of church crypts in Vienna, but the bones were just stacked, not used for chandeliers, etc.
(02-11-2012, 01:04 AM)iona_scribe Wrote: On the topic of creepy looking churches, this is the creepiest looking church I've ever seen a picture of:

[Image: awesome-decorations.jpg]

Yep, real bones.  It's called the Sedlec Ossuary or "Bone Chapel" in Sedlec, near Kutna Hora, Czech Republic.
I've been in a couple of church crypts in Vienna, but the bones were just stacked, not used for chandeliers, etc.

Looks very homy.
Rosslyn Chapel in Scotland is interesting.

[Image: rosslynchapel.jpg]

[Image: 185A.jpg]

https://www.google.com/search?q=rosslyn+chapel&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ioU&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=oTE2T9XsFo2gtwfT3qyiAg&ved=0CGQQsAQ&biw=782&bih=417
The Sagrada Familia is really growing on me. I don't like the modernist sculptures in the newer façade though, they don't fit with the older façade.

Like I said in the previous topic, it looks better when it has weathered a bit:
[Image: 467px-Sagrada_familia_construction_differences.jpg]
Gaudi rocks!
(02-11-2012, 06:18 AM)Adelbrecht Wrote: I don't like the modernist sculptures in the newer façade though, they don't fit with the older façade.

I think you are right about some of the more recent construction (See photo below); the sculptures have more of a
modern look to them, which doesn't seem to fit with the other parts of the church. See photo below.

[Image: Passionfacade2.jpg]
Sagrada Familia Passion facade
The outside of the cathedral looks like a monster with a giant mouth that is waiting to swallow anything that creeps near its sharp-toothed maw.
(02-11-2012, 07:04 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: The outside of the cathedral looks like a monster with a giant mouth that is waiting to swallow anything that creeps near its sharp-toothed maw.

Thats funny!

[Image: rock.jpg]