On a more positive note regarding the Diocese of Orange - Mater Dei High
Mater Dei has a great football program, with alums like 1961 Heisman winner John Huard and 2004 Heisman winner Matt Leinart, as well as current USC QB Matt Barkley.
Mater Dei was named USA Today National Champions in 1994 and 1996.
This practice of visiting the statue of the Virgin in their school courtyard after every football game - win or lose - has been carried on for years.
It's nice to see teenage boys in this day and age not being ashamed of showing Her love and honor..............
[Image: IMG_3349.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5126.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5131.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3344.jpg]
They do have a good football program. So does De La Salle and Cardinal Newman up in NorCal, amongst others. Servite High School in SoCal also has a great program. Its so unfortunate that these schools deliver on the secular and athletic levels, but on the moral and religious level, the most important one, have been failing since the late 60s.
(02-09-2012, 05:42 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: They do have a good football program. So does De La Salle and Cardinal Newman up in NorCal, amongst others. Servite High School in SoCal also has a great program. Its so unfortunate that these schools deliver on the secular and athletic levels, but on the moral and religious level, the most important one, have been failing since the late 60s.
This is true.
De La Salle is run by the Christian Brothers, founded by Saint John the Baptist De La Salle. They had a 151-game winning streak in the 90's and into the 2000's.
I know after each football game at Servite High, an older Friar leads the boys in singing Salve Regina.......
(02-09-2012, 05:52 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote: I know after each football game at Servite High, an older Friar leads the boys in singing Salve Regina.......

That's a great tradition. I know someone on the Servite football team. Unfortunately, my school did not have a tradition like that. We did recite this prayer at the end of the day, and I will never forget it:

The Three OClock Prayer Wrote:Lord Jesus,
we gather in spirit at the foot of the Cross
with thy Mother and the disciple whom thou hast loved.
We ask thy pardon for our sins
which are the cause of thy death.

We thank thee for remembering us
in that hour of salvation
and for giving us Mary as our Mother.

Holy Virgin,
take us under thy protection
and open us to the action of the Holy Ghost.

Saint John,
obtain for us the grace of taking Mary
into our life, as you did,
and of assisting her in her mission. Amen.

May the Father and the Son
and the Holy Ghost
be glorified in all places
through the Immaculate Virgin Mary.

Of course, the thy's and thee's were all you's, and they didn't say Holy Ghost. But that's what it was back in the day.
(02-09-2012, 06:05 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote:
(02-09-2012, 05:52 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote: I know after each football game at Servite High, an older Friar leads the boys in singing Salve Regina.......

That's a great tradition. I know someone on the Servite football team. Unfortunately, my school did not have a tradition like that. We did recite this prayer at the end of the day, and I will never forget it:

The Three OClock Prayer Wrote:Lord Jesus,
we gather in spirit at the foot of the Cross
with thy Mother and the disciple whom thou hast loved.
We ask thy pardon for our sins
which are the cause of thy death.

We thank thee for remembering us
in that hour of salvation
and for giving us Mary as our Mother.

Holy Virgin,
take us under thy protection
and open us to the action of the Holy Ghost.

Saint John,
obtain for us the grace of taking Mary
into our life, as you did,
and of assisting her in her mission. Amen.

May the Father and the Son
and the Holy Ghost
be glorified in all places
through the Immaculate Virgin Mary.

Of course, the thy's and thee's were all you's, and they didn't say Holy Ghost. But that's what it was back in the day.
A very beautiful practice. Very much so........
These are great traditions and refreshing to see. I hope the boys really find humility and Grace with these practices.

I do want to add though, that the best high school football in the nation is played in the Greater Cincinnati Catholic League. Back in 2010, three teams from that conference fluctuated in and out of the USA Today Super 25 rankings. The other team in the South division also had a winning record, with its three losses to the powerhouses with the national rankings.
I know of Archbishop Moeller High in the "Nati.
(02-10-2012, 12:50 AM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: I know of Archbishop Moeller High in the "Nati.

They, St. Xavier, and Elder are the powerhouses of which I speak. Serious football. Also, in the 2009 college football season, the University of Cincinnati Bearcats went 11(or 12) - 0 during hte regular playing season, earning a BCS bid to the Sugar Bowl. On this team were 52 scholarship players from Cincinnati(whose three county area in Ohio has a pop of just about 1 million) and the rest mostly from Ohio. A normal BCS team has 75 scholarship players. Pretty amazing, eh?
Louisville Trinity HS 2011 national football champs - and i think beat both Cincinnati's "powerhouses" this year  :P Also Louisville St.X is pretty damm good too