Other Sheep Not of Our Flock.
Several years ago I heard a priest give a sermon explaining wht our Lord meant when he spoke of there being a "narrow gate" to Heaven. Guess what he said? He said that the "narrow gate" happened to be whatever "faith tradition" a person happened to be following such as Hinduism for Hindus, Protestantism for Protestants...well, you get the picture. I thought at best the priest would simply give a social justice sermon  or talk about how much we need to know that God is Love and just ignore the Gospel passage altogether but he actually took what to us is a simple straighforward passage about the dcifficulty of getting to Heaven and opened wide the narrow gate for practically everyone regardless of what they believe or don't believe. All I could think was, no wonder people don't go Mass. What's the point, especially if the narrow gate is wide enough for anyone and anything. I agree with what the late Father Hardon once said as a sort of warning for the future--"only heroic Catholics will survive." The priests who preach this mushy nonsense will not survive and the parishes where they are preaching this stuff will not survive either.
(02-10-2012, 09:56 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Several years ago I heard a priest give a sermon explaining wht our Lord meant when he spoke of there being a "narrow gate" to Heaven. Guess what he said? He said that the "narrow gate" happened to be whatever "faith tradition" a person happened to be following such as Hinduism for Hindus, Protestantism for Protestants...well, you get the picture. I thought at best the priest would simply give a social justice sermon  or talk about how much we need to know that God is Love and just ignore the Gospel passage altogether but he actually took what to us is a simple straighforward passage about the dcifficulty of getting to Heaven and opened wide the narrow gate for practically everyone regardless of what they believe or don't believe. All I could think was, no wonder people don't go Mass. What's the point, especially if the narrow gate is wide enough for anyone and anything. I agree with what the late Father Hardon once said as a sort of warning for the future--"only heroic Catholics will survive." The priests who preach this mushy nonsense will not survive and the parishes where they are preaching this stuff will not survive either.

That reminds me of a sermon that a priest gave that someone else told me about.  He was speaking on the same subject, but his version?  "What Our Lord really meant is that the gate to heaven is wide."